Tuesday, October 10, 2006

When It Works

There are days when I am so glad to do what I do! Lately, I’ve been filled with joy about my job. I’m watching almost seven years of hard work come to fruition, and it has been extremely rewarding.

The other day I sat in a video production suite and supervised interviews from both girls and adults. The interviews will be featured in a video at our upcoming annual fundraising breakfast. As I watched the girls I have trained in matters of the media (over the course of three years) talk about our organization, I was filled with pride at their poise and speech. These girls have already purposed in their hearts to be successful, and I am humbled to have been a part of their success.

There are girls who were part of my media groups over the past seven years who are now in college. Occasionally, they e-mail me and let me know how they are enjoying – or enduring – college life. I’m so fortunate they feel that they have learned from me and want to become friends. I have no doubt many of them will become teachers, doctors, television and movie stars, and more! To have been a part of that – well, wow!

One of my media girls is a fledgling movie star and has already performed in an upcoming movie. She told me she wants to be a cardiologist, but I really think acting is in her blood. Her mom and I have become friends, and we were joking the other day about how I should be thanked when she wins her Oscar! It truth, I’m just glad to contribute to the life of a bright girl who wants to make the world a better place.

It is obvious to me that God led me here to do this! He has always given me a burden to advance the cause of women and the equality He sets forth in His Word. It is achieving that balance in an uneven world that can be tricky. Still, I’m glad I have the chance to positively impact the lives of young girls who will hopefully go on and improve this world we live in.

God has also provided me with the opportunity to write in this job – the video producers this year want ME to write part of the video copy. They said they read my work and were impressed. I was SO honored! And grateful!

Sometimes working just really works, you know?

No comments: