Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Quantum Loving It!

I have a secret crush. His name is Dr. Sam Beckett.

"Theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished. He woke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on this journey is Al, an observer from his own time, who appears in the form of a hologram that only Sam can see and hear. And so Dr. Beckett finds himself leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap home."

Don’t worry. Brett knows about it. Every time that red envelope arrives from Netflix, I rush to see if it contains one of my Quantum Leap discs! So far, I have watched up to the end of Season 3 and am just about to start on Season 4. Only two more seasons to go!

So, why do I love Quantum Leap so much? Well, mainly because it is a science fiction adventure show with two loveable main characters – and it’s clean! Plus, it is fun to see past times and all the predicaments an honest do-gooder like Sam manages to get himself into.

It’s a lot like Sliders, just with less people. I’m also a Sliders devotee, too, in case you wondered. Currently, I own the first seasons of both shows.

My love of science fiction and futuristic adventure stems from years of watching Star Trek: The Next Generation and X-Files with my dad. The two of us would make a “date” by getting comfortable on the living room couches, popping popcorn, dishing out ice cream, and watching alien invasions and brave new worlds. We had a great time. Mom, on the other hand, would forsake us to go watch Murder She Wrote in the other room.

Brett likes sci-fi, too, just not as avidly as I do. He prefers his Band of Brothers DVDs or war movies, over my X-Men favorites. But it’s okay. Our genres come together occasionally. Usually in the form of a Saturday afternoon Star Wars marathon.

So, I’m hoping that when I go home today, there will be that familiar red envelope, and maybe (just maybe) this leap will be the leap home for my adorable, honorable Dr. Sam Beckett!

1 comment:

Jennittia said...

It has been years since I have seen this show!!!!! I had no idea it was on DVD- just might have to look it up, since I too seceretly had a crush on him many years ago!!