Tuesday, October 03, 2006

My Uncle Dave & My First Sip of Beer

My Uncle Dave is everyone’s uncle.

He defines what an uncle is (other than the technically familial distinction). He is a lovable guy with a loud voice, cigarette in one hand, can of beer in the other, and a smile on his weathered face. His escape is his garage which always has one working car and one fully restored classic. The walls are papered with beer and girlie calendars from 1988 and occasional photographs of his kids, grandchildren, and nieces and nephews.

As a kid, I was fascinated by Uncle Dave. He was so different from my dad. I remember staring up at him during a family wedding. He was cracking jokes with the groom. When he saw me staring at him, he leaned over and offered me a sip of his Old Milwaukee beer. Since, at the tender age of five, I didn’t know the difference between a beer can and a soda can, I took a nice long gulp. The bitter flavor stung my throat, and I must have made quite a face. Uncle Dave and the groom burst out in laughter while I ran to get some punch to wash away the taste.

When I told my mom, a look of surprise crossed her face, but then she gave a sort of half smile. “Did you like it?” she asked. “No, it was gross!” I vehemently answered. “Well, then you’ll never want to try it again,” she assured me. And I never have. So, I guess Mom can thank Uncle Dave from steering me away from a life of alcohol consumption. Although, I wouldn’t recommend that course of action for everyone, it did work for me.

Out of all my family, Uncle Dave and Aunt Venita lived the closest to us when I was growing up. I remember sitting on their front steps and talking while Uncle Dave showed off his latest garage sale finds. He used to scour the neighborhood in search of elusive junk which he could then stock in his own garage sale. For a kid fascinated with junk, Uncle Dave’s garage sales were a treasure trove!

My Aunt Venita is a saint and still one of the most beautiful women I know. She loves Uncle Dave and puts up with a great deal of “man stuff” much better that any wife I know. She also has a strong and unshakeable faith in God. Inside and out, she simply shines.

Our family’s faith is being put to the test. My sweet Uncle Dave has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. There is a 90% chance the cancer has not spread to his lymph nodes, but he will be undergoing surgery on Monday, October 9. I would greatly appreciate your prayers for Uncle Dave, Aunt Venita, and their children and grandkids as they go through this difficult time. I know they would appreciate it, too.

No comments: