Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Temptation Office

Well, I’ve had it. Again.

I’m going back on Weight Watchers. Again.

So, this morning, I decided I would be especially good. “No chocolate. Limit the sweets,” I told myself. That shouldn’t be too hard for me. I can close my office door and only go to the staff lounge at lunch.

Right.

So, I get to work and our newly-hired Department Assistant stops me. “I am really grateful for all the help you’ve given me since I started here, and I just wanted to show my appreciation. So, I made you a coffee cake,” she tells me.

Well, what do you say to that? So, I thanked her and when I went into my office, there it was in all of its crumbly, cinnamon-y glory – just casually sitting there on my desk. Tempting me.

“Okay,” I tell myself. “You can handle this. Just put it in your lunch cooler. You can have a small piece for dessert at lunch.” So, I carefully transfer it my lunch cooler and zip the top. Crisis averted!

Then, my phone rings. “Can you come to my office? I’ve got something for you,” our Registrar tells me.

When I get to her office, she makes me close the door and presents me with a chocolate cupcake with chocolate frosting and chocolate sprinkles.

I’m serious.

“I just wanted to thank you for helping me with that flyer yesterday,” she tells me.

So, I bring the cupcake back to my office – which now smells painfully deliciously like chocolate and coffee cake.

And I wonder – “Why me? Why today, Lord? I was going to be so good! Why all the yummy temptation?”

So far I haven’t succumbed, but I hear their sweet little voices whispering to me.

I’ve got to learn to stop being so helpful around the office!

No comments: