Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Man in the Moon

I am not a nature lover. I am not a tree hugger. In fact, you might say I am the complete opposite of an outdoor enthusiast.

Brett likes to joke that my idea of camping is when the ice machine breaks at the Holiday Inn.

I also don’t understand camping – why would anyone pretend to be homeless for a week and call it a vacation? Especially when there is a perfectly good hotel two miles down the road.

I say this, so you can appreciate what I am about to tell you.

I was driving home in rush hour traffic on the frustrating bottleneck that is 251. There I was, lost in a sea of red taillights, listening to Big and Rich on the radio. I was completely absorbed in the song and running through my got-to-do’s in my head, when I looked up. And saw the most beautiful night moon I have ever seen.

It was completely full, golden yellow. I could see the man in the moon, just like those 1920’s drawings of him. It was just this beautiful ball of amber light. I actually said, “Well, will you look at that!” To myself, in the car.

I looked ahead of me and saw many commuters doing what I had just been. Singing along to their radios. Anticipating dinner, TV, and bedtime. All missing the beautiful sight.

So, I turned off Big and Rich and drove home in peace and quiet, every so often, taking my eyes off the road for a quick peek at God’s beautiful moon.

Hats off. Definitely hats off.

No comments: