Monday, November 13, 2006

Smells Like a Great Idea

Story inspiration often comes to me in one fell swoop.

I’ll read an article or watch a movie, and a story will come together in my mind. I never know when it’s going to happen, but it’s always amazing when it does. It’s like a tiny miracle seed that grows into a mighty oak.

My stories are like children. Each one is different, yet each one reflects different parts of who I am and what I believe.

So, about two weeks ago, I was inspired! I was reading about the anniversary of Kurt Cobain’s suicide. For those of you who don’t know, he was the lead singer of the grunge band Nirvana (Major Hit – Smells Like Teen Spirit) in the early nineties. His frantic rise to fame coupled with a sensitive soul caused him to spiral into heroin addiction and eventually commit suicide. He also had a shaky marriage to the lead singer of Hole, Courtney Love. (Read his complete biography at
www.burntout.com/kurt/biography/ )

Now, I never listened to his music, but I’ve read his lyrics before, along with various biographies. He seems like a kind and sensitive person who just couldn’t handle the pressures of fame. As I was reading his biography again, I felt a new story take root.

I banged out some of the details in my head over the past couple of weeks. And last night, I sat down and wrote out a six page story synopsis. It’s a different turn from my usual style, and it means I’ll have to do more research on music, but the story – oh, the story – is GOOD! So good - I can feel it.

I love writing. I love writing. I love writing.

Even when I don’t, I love writing!

No comments: