Thursday, November 16, 2006

Rehfeldt Women Weekend Excursion in Watertown

The ball started rolling with a phone call from my Aunt Jan.

Knowing how my mom and I love plays, she invites us to the Maranatha play every year. She and my Uncle Darryl (He’s a VP of something at Maranatha.) get free tickets every year, just because Uncle Darryl prays at the beginning of the play – what a racket! Ha! Ha!

Anyway, several family members have gone with us to plays in the past, including various cousins, husbands, and even Grandma. It is always an excellent play. I remember going to a great mystery play there where I was totally surprised by the whodunit at the end. The actors were THAT good. We also especially enjoyed the Pirates of Penzance musical. It was spectacular!

So this year, the play happens to fall on a hunting weekend, so both of our husbands were out of the picture. Out in the woods, actually. Ha. Ha. Anyway, so we decided to invite my cousin Candice and Aunt Linda as our tag-a-longs.

I am really looking forward to it. The play is The Importance of Being Earnest which I’ve never seen. Plus, we are going to go shopping at Johnson Creek Mall, eat Aunt Jan’s delicious cooking for dinner, see our cousin/nephew Jon (an accomplished Maranatha student – and has a girlfriend who we’ll also meet!), and spend the night!

I always feel a little weird stepping on the Maranatha campus. Going to college there was never really a consideration for me. First, they didn’t have a Communications major. Second, going there would just have been a continuation of the oppressive and legalistic Baptist regime I had already endured in my younger years.

Now, in all fairness, many, many of my wonderful friends went to Maranatha and received a brilliant education, a great college experience, and met their soul mates. So, I’m not downing the college. I’m just saying it wasn’t the right place for me.

Anyway, it still feels a little like stepping back in time when I’m there. Candice, my entirely delightful cousin and kindred spirit, asked me what I was going to wear to the play. She said, “Are you going to dress up or just wear church clothes?” It made me laugh! Only WE would get the distinction between REAL dress up clothes and the Maranatha translation of “dressed up.” Translation - “Wear your go to meetin’ clothes!” Ha! Ha! Candice SO gets me!

My Aunt Linda should also be a blast to hang out with. I didn’t really know her growing up, since she lived in France, but I’ve gotten to know her over the past couple of years. She’s a very smart, insightful woman who does a great job of analyzing just about everything accurately! Plus, she’s hilarious!

So, I’m looking forward to it, and I’ll be sure to report on it afterwards. And yes, Aunt Jan, I promise I’ll be good and not say anything embarrassing.

Or at least I’ll try.

No comments: