Saturday, November 25, 2006

All I Want For Christmas Is…EVERYTHING!

Lyrics from I Want It Now from the 1971 movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory -

Veruca Salt:

Gooses! Geeses!I want my geese to lay gold eggs for Easter

Mr. Salt:
It will, sweetheart

Veruca:
At least a hundred a day

Mr. Salt:
Anything you say

Veruca:
And by the way

Mr. Salt:
What?

Veruca:
I want a feast

Mr. Salt:
You ate before you came to the factory

Veruca:
I want a bean feast!

Mr. Salt:
Oh, one of those

Veruca:
Cream buns and doughnuts and fruitcake with no nuts
So good you could go nuts

Mr. Salt:
You can have all those things when you get home

Veruca:
No, now!!

I want a ball
I want a party
Pink macaroons and a million balloons
And performing baboons and ...Give it to me
Rrhh rhhh
Now!

I want the world
I want the whole world
I want to lock it all up in my pocket
It's my bar of chocolate
Give it to me
Now!

I want today
I want tomorrow
I want to wear 'em like braids in my hair
And I don't want to share 'em

I want a party with room fulls of laughter
Ten thousand tons of ice cream
And if I don't get the things I am after
I'm going to scream!

I want the works
I want the whole works
Presents and prizes and sweets and surprises
Of all shapes and sizes
And now
Don't care how
I want it now
Don't care how
I want it now

Sometimes I feel like Veruca Salt in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I really identify with her when she sings how she wants it NOW! Neither patience nor contentment has ever been my strong suit.

And, no, I don’t care what that says about me! :-)

And there is never a shortage of things I want, let me tell you! So, in that materialistic vein, I have assembled my once-a-year-although-I-add-to-it-all-though-the-year Christmas list.

Mostly, I keep this list up all year for myself. So, I’ll remember that book I checked out from the library and now want to have as a permanent part of my meager collection. Or that movie I really enjoyed on the big screen and would now like to own. Stuff like that.

So, I don’t really ask people to get me these things (well, except Brett on occasion). It’s more to help me remember. But this kind of list IS handy when it comes Christmas time.

Because a lot of times, people really do want to know what to get you.

They don’t want to get you something you already have or don’t really want, so my list (although I know it seems a little forward) is helpful to the people in my life. Believe me, I wish more people kept lists and passed them out in December. It would make us all happier gift givers and receivers.

Mind you, these are things I WANT, but don’t necessarily NEED. I have them divided up categorically, as you will see. This is how neurotic I am about keeping track of what I like! Both my mom and Brett get a copy of the list, and I provide it to anybody who asks me what I want for Christmas. Ha! Ha! Ha!

There are big ticket items and cheap things like books, but really it’s just a conglomeration and amalgamation of the hodge-podge of stuff I yearn for all year long.


DVD’s:
The Family Stone
Lucky Number Slevin
The New Guy
X-Men 3


Books:
The Promise (Chaim Potok)
Last Man Standing (David Balducci)

Books by Lee Child:
Persuader
The Enemy
One Shot
The Hard Way

Books by Paul Johnston:
Body Politic
The Bone Yard
Water of Death
The Blood Tree
The House of Dust

CD’s:
Walk the Line (Original Soundtrack)

Yankee Candles Scents:
Jack Frost Tea Lights
Home Sweet Home
Vintage Chardonnay

Gift Cards:
Hallmark
Lane Bryant
Fashion Bug
www.whatonearthcatalog.com
(gift certificates)

Big Tickets:
Laptop PC
iPod

It’s all fun and games at the Soderstrom house! Happy Holidays!

No comments: