Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Sunday Sickness

I wrote this on Sunday night but couldn't post it until this morning! Sorry for the delay. On to the post...

I had a mostly wonderful, active weekend.

At least, until I started throwing up.

We’re not really sure what caused my recent bout with food poisoning (or a really, really mini-flu bug). It was either the Cracker Barrel brunch on Saturday morning or the Game Night Group potluck Saturday night.

I’m leaning towards Cracker Barrel, as I felt slightly ill at Game Night right when we got there and before I’d eaten anything.

Either way, I spent a nice, nauseous Sunday running back and forth to the bathroom.

You know, I never used to get sick. I’m not sure what has happened to my immune system! I seem to get food poisoning or stomach troubles at the drop of a hat nowadays.

Maybe it’s food allergies?

I just really, really hope I’m not allergic to cheese. If I am, then I guess I’m destined for an early grave since I am NOT giving up cheese.

Back to the less-disgusting part of the weekend – Angie and I had to skip dinner on Friday, since she was running late. I tend to cut her a lot of slack, since I think having five kids is a pretty good excuse to need a few extra minutes!

But we did get to see the movies!

We watched Live Free or Die Hard again (since she hadn’t seen it yet). No crying babies this time! And it was still as good as I remembered.

Transformers was chock full of toddlers and babies, but since the movie was awful…I didn’t mind so much. I hadn’t exactly been bursting with hope, but Angie remembered the Transformers “era” and wanted to see it.

Afterwards, she told me that she thought it was really irresponsible for people to bring kids to “that kind” of movie.

On my honor, I didn’t say a word!!! Aren’t you proud of me?

Then we called Brett, and he met us for the 9:30 p.m. showing of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

I don’t know how they manage it, but the HP movies keep getting better! The three of us really enjoyed it, and it was easily the best movie of the night. AND since Brett and I were able to use our free movie passes, it was also a savings of $17. Yea!

Too bad we spent $20.50 at the concession stand. Hey, I TOLD you we skipped dinner.

Brett and I had “brunch” Saturday morning at Cracker Barrel. As I mentioned, it may have been where my stomach bug was activated. But I didn’t know that at the time, so I had a really good time.

In the evening, we went to Game Night Group, and it was one of the rare times we didn’t actually play any games! The group hadn’t gotten together in two months, so we all had massive catching up (and celebrating) to do.

We celebrated a graduation, a promotion, and four birthdays!

There was a LOT of delicious food, and the conversation was SO much fun. We got caught up on everybody’s lives. Jeanette and I huddled in a corner and reminisced about growing up at Memorial/Rockford Baptist School.

Mom, Aunt Annette, and Mary took a walk, and later a bunch of people went over to Mary’s house to see her amazing garden. We grilled out, and eventually, the teens started playing Wii.

Brett was intrigued, and I was shocked when they (the teens) invited him to play virtual reality tennis with them. I was even MORE shocked when he accepted.

You know how Brett feels about kids? Yeah? Well, double that for teens. Now you know why I was shocked!

The three teens and Brett played Tennis, Bowling, and Baseball on the Wii. Michele and I cheered on from the sidelines and laughed our heads off!

We left Andrea’s (Game Night Group Headquarters – in Durand) LATE, and by the time we got home and in bed, I knew something was seriously wrong with my stomach.

So, I’ve spent most of today resting and “restrooming” it. I’m hoping that taking it easy today will allow me to work a full week next week! I’ve got a major project to finish, and a meeting that I’m dreading.

I know I’m a professional, but there are just some meetings it is so hard to care about, since I’m creative…not necessarily logistical!

Oh, well – it’s my job, and I love it 95% of the time!

At least, I wasn’t alone today. I had the remaining Murder She Wrote episodes on my DVD and the very first three episodes of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman to keep me company!

I’d forgotten how much I liked that show! I’d also forgotten (apparently) how much happened in the first three episodes. I thought it took SEASONS for these things to happen, but the ball obviously started rolling a lot earlier than I remembered.

The attraction between Dr. Quinn and Sully was almost immediate. Horace (Post Office Guy) and Myra (Lady of the Evening) were interested in each other almost right way. And Robert E. (Blacksmith) and Grace were already eyeing each other!

Who knew?! Either way, it made my sick Sunday go a lot faster. And my sweet husband brought me a Culver’s shake and mashed potatoes for dinner.

I love that man!

This week, at night anyway, should be much less active that the past…month. I don’t have plans for any night this week, and so I’m hoping I can finally start getting caught up.

I have to sometime, don’t I?

1 comment:

Robin Hayes said...

So sorry that you were sick! Yucky!!