Friday, July 27, 2007

Singing Show at Sinnissippi

Last night Mom and I took in the show at (here we go) Rockford Park District’s, Music in Park’s…Decatur Park Singers!

As always, the show was wonderful! It was one in a series of free outdoor summer concerts hosted in the Band Shell inside Sinnissippi Park (hence, Music in the Park).

We ran into several friends. One lady who used to go to Mom and Gary’s church (but now attends Maywood Evangelical Free) stopped by to say “hi.” Mom’s old friends Jolean and Dean Muir (not sure on the spelling) were there chowing down on McDonald’s before the show. I also ran down to say hello to Jan and Terry Miller (who are from our church) after I caught sight of them in front. Then, at the last minute, right before the show started, we saw Leslie and Ralph Stambaugh, friends from our Game Night Group!

Old home week!

The show was – as earlier stated – amazing! The young college kids from Decatur sang and danced their way through patriotic tunes, jazz music, old fashioned rock and roll, country, and a few sentimental ballads.

It would be hard to pick my favorite part of the show, but I’d have to go with the amazing guitar soloist, talented dancer, and the vocalist who all worked together to perform Santana’s “Smooth.”

Close runners up would be the hilarious rendition of “Harper Valley P.T.A.” (done in white high heeled boots with a giant red hair wig), and when the guys pulled a woman out of the audience and serenaded her with Billy Joel’s “Uptown Girl.”

Actually, I didn’t know the song was BY Billy Joel. I barely know who Billy Joel is. I was a sheltered kid and wasn’t really exposed to popular music until I went to college.

But I heard the phrase “backstreet boy” in the song. Later, I asked Brett if the Backstreet Boys sang “Uptown Girl.” He laughed so hard, he almost split a gut. Then, he told me it was Billy Joel and wanted to know how I could possibly think it was the Backstreet Boys.

Oh, well, at least I made his night humorous!

Mom and I had a great time together, as we normally do, since that is usually what happens when you are with your best friend!

We are already looking forward to next year’s shows!

No comments: