Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Morning Melody

Ever since Brett started his new job, we’ve developed a new schedule.

We both get up at 4:30 a.m. He takes a shower and makes breakfast for himself while I make his lunch. He’s out the door by 5:30 a.m., so he can be at work on the south side of Rockford by 6:00 a.m.

That leaves me up and awake with three and half hours to fill before I have to head to work. I’m not used to having that much time in the morning, but I’m finding it awfully convenient.

As time goes on, I’m sure I’ll be able to spend more time on my workout and in devotions, but this morning was just such a peaceful time for me. After Brett headed out the door, I popped a Mary Tyler Moore Show DVD in and enjoyed a long, leisurely breakfast.

Then I went upstairs, pulled up the blinds, opened the windows, and let the summer-like air breeze through the room. I got down on the floor and played with the bunnies, just enjoying the silence of the morning, although it wasn’t that silent, since the birds were chirping and everything. It was amazingly peaceful and calming to me, like a soothing bubble bath for my spirit.

On my way to work, I stopped for an Iced Tangerine Frappaccino at Starbucks. Every time I get an iced drink at Starbucks, I think about my intern days in Chicago. I had to walk 24 blocks one way to work in downtown Chicago, so I would stop by the Starbucks near school and grab an Iced Raspberry Tiazza. I would drink it as slowly as possible as I walked to work, relishing the sights and sounds of professional Chicago. Today, as I sipped my drink, I couldn’t stop smiling as I was transported back to those great days.

Boy, do I miss Chicago!

I was also smiling in the car, since I still felt so inwardly peaceful and tranquil. Of course, that may have been since I WAS listening to the great Johnny Cash on the radio.

Sometimes, I forget to appreciate the days when things go well, when I feel refreshed spiritually and emotionally.

I found myself thanking God for all His provisions. How He provided a husband and a family who love me, good friends, a roof over my head, food in the cupboards, two happy rabbits who make me smile, success and growth in my professional life, and SO much more.

I’m grateful. And the Iced Tangerine Frappaccino doesn’t hurt at all!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

That sounds good. this may sound ironic, but I hate coffee and love Starbucks. Imagine that. Probably because I am from the Seattle area and it is a part of me.
Is there any coffee in it?

Ann-Marie said...

That doesn't sound weird at all!

I also hate coffee (although I LOVE the smell of coffee in the morning). When I stopped by the drive-thru window at Starbucks, I just asked for something fruity and cold. She recommended the tangerine frappaccino, and I asked if there was coffee in it. She laughed and said "no." But when I talked to my friend yesterday, she said there probably WAS espresso in it...which would explain why I had a lot more energy yesterday...and why I'm dragging today. Still, it was worth it! It was SO delicious and refreshing on a HOT day!

We spent a lot of time at Chicago coffee shops when we were in college. We liked Starbucks, SBC, and Caribou. I've yet to try any of the coffee shops in town - like Meg's. Maybe we should go sometime and have not-coffee together!