Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Purple Card Drive

Many of you know about Merissa.

For those of you who don’t, she is my co-worker who was recently stricken with a brain aneurysm and almost died.

As I’ve mentioned before, Merissa is an amazing, sweet, and caring person who has no family to speak of. Merissa has had a difficult life, having experienced homelessness and life on the street first hand. In spite of those grueling beginnings, she’s worked hard to make a life for herself.

Since she is all alone, and we are a non-profit, Merissa lives paycheck to paycheck. This unexpected illness will undoubtedly tax her meager resources.

We, here at the office, are doing everything we can to be Merissa’s family during this difficult time.

Her condition is still critical, but the doctors are positive. My co-worker Jen writes:

I saw Merissa last night (Friday). She was doing very well. The nurse said it will be another week or so before she’s in another room. Please keep sending her cards, so she knows we’re thinking about her. If you want to send her anything, her favorite color is purple. She still can’t have flowers in her room. Anything else with purple, she’ll love!!

As believers, we are told to minister to the orphans, and even though Merissa is 28, she has no one to minister to her.

So, I’m asking you, my blogging friends, to join me in The Purple Card Drive for Merissa. It would mean the world to her to receive notes of encouragement from those of us who care.

Please e-mail me directly for her hospital address at
annmarietrotter@hotmail.com.

Consider this one of those things we can do in the temporal world that will matter in eternity.

I hope to hear from you!

No comments: