Friday, November 09, 2007

Love & the Puffy Coat

Some women get flowers and candy from their significant others.

Not me.

I get puffy sportswear.

Allow me to explain.

Yesterday, Brett had to drive to Dundee, Illinois, to transfer the rest of the funds for my new/old car. On his way back, he stopped at one of HIS favorite clothing stores – Steve and Barry’s – located in the Spring Hill Mall.

The reason Brett loves Steve and Barry’s is because nothing – nothing – is more than $12.95. This confirms Brett’s theory that all clothing should cost less than $15. It also gives him ammunition when I want to buy clothing that is more than that amount.

The first time I bought a brand name bra, Brett almost had a coronary. “$35 for one bra? Is it a Super-Bra? What’s it made out of? Kevlar?”

“Yes, I bought a Kevlar bra. Now is the time to tell you I secretly fight crime in my underwear when I tell you I have a late night meeting.”

I have told Brett time and time again that when it comes to clothing, quality clothing, you get what you pay for. Clothes shopping done right is an investment.

Brett still thinks all underwear comes in a five pack at Wal-Mart for $3.99. I’ve tried to explain to him that my underwear, a complex mix of spandex and lycra, will last me a lot longer than his cotton Spiderman underoos.

Not that he wears Spiderman underoos. I’m talking quality level.

Anyway, back to Steve and Barry’s, Brett brought a few things back for me.

Two t-shirts, one with a GIANT ARMY symbol and one with a GIANT NAVY symbol. Both were conveniently his size, you know, just in case, for some reason, I might not want them.

I held the shirts up and tried to figure out what to say. “Honey, didn’t we talk about you buying clothes for me?”

We have had this conversation exactly three times. It finally came to a point where I told Brett he should never buy clothes for me. Never. Ever.

Why? Well, let’s start with a sample of a few things he has bought me over the years - a sparkly crocheted pink sweater vest, a Winnie the Pooh sweatshirt, and a Size 6 lingerie outfit.

Can you see me EVER wearing either a pink sweater vest or a Disney-themed sweatshirt? Not since 1990.


As for the Size 6 business, I’ve NEVER been a Size 6. In fact, I’m pretty sure even my teeth aren’t a Size 6.

And nothing was more embarrassing than returning THAT. The salesperson looked at me like, “Did you REALLY think you were a Size 6? Is somebody suffering from ocular degeneration? Or dementia?”

“No, my husband’s just a really, really bad shopper.”

So, here we go again. I now own two oversize shirts that support the ARMY and the NAVY. You know, because that is so me.

Ah, but the trouble wasn’t over.

He held up not one, but two, gigantic puffy coats emblazoned with Michigan (Michigan?) Wolverines logos.

There are so many reasons this coat is not something I would ever wear/pick out/even stand remotely close to in a store.

First of all, it’s a pimp coat. This is something rappers wear in music videos (dear Lord, please tell me he didn’t buy me a mouth grill). Secondly, I hate professional sports. Thirdly, it’s so puffy, I look like I’m trying to smuggle illegal immigrants in my coat.

And lastly, Michigan? Where does he think we live?

But perhaps the fashion mistake that pains me most is the fact he bought MATCHING coats.

Yes, we are now going to look like one of THOSE annoying sports-oriented couples who DRESS ALIKE.

Kill me now. Please.

But, my dear husband was so excited for me to try on this horrendous coat. So I bundled up into it and zipped it up.

“You look great,” he fawned. He put his matching coat on and gave me a great big puffy hug.

It was as corny as it sounds.

So, because my husband has shown me his love, by purchasing um…sportswear, I will wear it proudly.

Unless...

Unless one of you can help me. If I wear my coat on Sunday, during the breakfast hour, could someone please, please manage to spill coffee on it “accidentally”?

Believe me, Puffy Coat has enough layers, I will be protected from any burn.

Take pity on me. I beg you.

In my heart, I find his gesture kind of sweet. He does love me and try to protect me, the best way he can.

I suppose I should just rest in that and just be happy the coat wasn’t a size 6.

5 comments:

The Beard Bunch said...

Oh my goodness, you crack me up. Yes, I would love to comment on your puffy coat, but I am to busy trying to picture you and Brett and this whole incidence occuring (puffy coats and all). You are such a good wife to lovingly wear your puffy coat---that alone is worth more than the $12.95 he paid for it :)

Anonymous said...

You had better not smuggle any illegal immigrants! (hahahahaha!) And that is my reason that you should not be wearing a coat like that.... (haaa!) But, honestly, there are people and places that don't pay so much attention to fashion. I am one one of them...and my husband would be the "you" in our relationship... it is absolutely maddening to "be ready" to go anywhere, because I guarantee I will not be wearing what I'm supposed to know to wear...and neither will any of the kids..even if it was right the last time we went to the same place! I hate fashion...just give me comfort... which is why I do not buy clothing for him...and I can't afford it anyway.

Linda said...

HEY! WHAT'S WRONG WITH MICHIGAN??? You could tell Brett that your Michigan cousins are coveting your new matching U of M coats and (since he loves us SO much) he might be willing to send them to us for Christmas. Then we could wear them around our chocolate-ice-cream-eating children...

I saw your comment on Aaron's blog. I do read your blog "religously" and thoroughly enjoy it. You have such a way with words that I am usually laughing out loud or feeling the injustice of whatever situation you are describing. I don't normally comment on blogs--mostly because after reading my favorite family blogs, I have to quickly get off line and put my home back together again since those precious cherubs I live with see that I am preoccupied and quickly get into whatever they can before they get caught. My, how the laughing out loud quickly changes...

I do love you and agree with your Uncle Jimmy--you are BEAUTIFUL!!

Linda :)

Heidi said...

Actually knowing Steve and Barrys as we "fondly" do, it was probably at a nothing over 7.95 sale.
Maybe I will wear a puffy coat with you tomorrow. ha ha
I have a couple of Steve and Barrys puffy coats around here somewhere

What exactly is wrong with Michigan?

Heidi said...

i think you stirred up a hornet's nest with your U of M comments. GO BLUE!!