Monday, November 12, 2007

Ms. President

Okay, so here’s a funky thought.

I just read a blog from someone who seemed to be kind of my kind of person.

As I read, she made a comment - that in a nation like ours; “with a woman running for President”…it went on a bit more with other things….”we need to pray for revival.”

I’m not arguing that we do need to pray. The comment just took me off guard. I agreed with the other 99% of what she said, but I couldn’t get over (those of you who know me won’t be surprised) that woman running for President crack.

I mean, it just took me by surprise that, in this day and age, someone would have a problem with a woman running for President. I’m not saying I support this particular woman, but that surely doesn’t mean I wouldn’t support another, differently qualified, woman.

Do people still think like this? It’s, like, pretty much inconceivable to me that we would still be so overtly sexist in our assumptions.

Why shouldn’t a woman run for President? It’s not like it’s been done perfectly by the previous male occupants of that office.

I’m just…stunned…I guess. I thought we had finally progressed beyond this. Besides the usual crazies, I mean.

Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Or have I just been an ostrich with my head in the sand?

5 comments:

Cindy Swanson said...

I'm with you, Ann-Marie. If a woman can be a mayor or a governor--or even the prime minister of England, a la Margaret Thatcher--why couldn't a woman be president? Like you, that aspect doesn't bother me in the least.

I heard a preacher say something derogatory about the fact that women now rule us. But in the Bible, weren't there female judges? Wasn't Deborah a respected leader?

I've heard people worry that a woman would be too emotional to govern. Honestly, I think once a woman gets past a certain age, she's pretty much over the hormonal thing. If anything, she's testosterone to spare! :)

I'll admit here and now that I don't like Hillary Clinton, and I don't want her to be president. But it's darn sure not because she's a woman.

Cindy Swanson said...

Oops, edit--I meant "she's got testosterone to spare."

Wendy said...

I'm with you. But I certianly wouldn't dream of voting for Hillary. UGH! WHY does she have to be the first woman to seriously run?

Ann-Marie said...

I don't like Hillary, either, and it irks me tremendously that - for the first time a woman makes the ballot - I can't vote for her (in good conscience).

I try to remember God places people in positions of power, like He did with Deborah, and have faith in His perfect will.

God loves women, too.

That's probably common knowledge, but growing up I didn't believe God loved women as much as He did men.

So now I just like to say it!

Heidi said...

I personally would have no problem with a woman president, just not THAT woman.
I thought a race between Condi and Hillary would be interesting.
I am with you. I wish it was a woman I could vote for.