Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Spent Saturday Sprinting Toward a Sundae

Saturday started out early – too early!

I was scheduled to help at our company’s fundraising run, and I had to be at the run start site at 6:00 a.m.

6:00 a.m. on a Saturday? Unheard of.

Thankfully, my amazing husband offered to come and help out at the run as a volunteer. This, of course, meant he had to rise WITH me at 4:00 a.m.

4:00 a.m. on a Saturday? Unheard of.

Because of course, it takes me an hour to get ready (that’s with no breakfast, work-out, or devotion time), and we knew it would take us an hour to drive to the run site.

Brett decided that if we were getting up at this ungodly hour of the morning – on a weekend for crying out loud – then we MUST stop at Starbucks for a mocha (him) and hot chocolate (me).

We got to Starbucks a little early, and Brett stood outside by the door in the freezing cold. I stayed in the nice warm car. He must have looked pretty pathetic, since the girls working the counter took pity on him and opened early for us!

We headed off to the run site. When we got there it was like 20 degrees or something.

20 degrees in September? Unheard of.

The run went off without a hitch, even if I did leave poor Brett stranded in the woods at a water stop while I went to help “cheerlead” the runners to the finish line.

Afterwards, we were headed home, and we both said how it felt like 2:00 p.m. or something when it was only 10:30 a.m.

Because we had gotten up so early on a weekend? Oh, yeah! Unheard of.

When we got home, Brett did his favorite activity – shooting at the farm– and I did mine – napping at the house.

Purrrrfect!

Saturday night, we joined Mom, Gary, and my Aunt Linda (visiting us all the way from France) at a fish boil out in Rock City.

Now, I don’t know why I agree to go to these things.

Well, okay, I do know. I love my family and enjoy being with them.

However, every time I go to one of these things, I make it known in advance I will not be having any fish.

Why? Because I do not like fish.

And I don’t care what you say you can do to it to make it taste not-like-fish so that I will enjoy it.

I will not enjoy it anyway. It will still BE FISH. It will STILL – in spite of anything you do to it - taste like FISH.

In my opinion, if you have to do something drastic to something to make it not taste like itself, then maybe you shouldn’t be eating it to begin with, you know?

But no one believes me.

Every fish boil I’ve gone to, people try to force fish on me.

“Just try it.”

It’s so buttery.”

“It doesn’t taste like fish.”

YES IT DOES. IF I WANTED BUTTER, I’D EAT BUTTER. I DON’T WANT ANY FISH. LEAVE ME ALONE. DO I MAKE YOU EAT THINGS YOU DON’T WANT TO? I SAID I DON’T WANT FISH. AND. I. DON’T.

Oops…sorry about that. I guess I have some unresolved issues to work out.

Back to this fish boil – that’s right Gary, I really don’t want any fish – we were able to meet up with some of Gary’s family – his sister, his two nieces, and his great-nephew.

We had a wonderful time talking with them, and everyone got extra potatoes, so I had something to eat. Mom even gave me her dinner roll (thanks for not forcing fish on me, Mom!).

After dinner, Mom and I visited the dessert table where we got scrumptious peanut-butter-rice-crispy-chocolate-thingies that were OH. MY. YUM. good. And for only a $1 donation.

Only $1? Unheard of.

After dinner we checked out the gorgeous new Rock City Fire Department (which I think is actually bigger than the whole town – blink and you’ll miss it) and took a ton of photos with Mom’s digital camera.

Check us out at Mom’s blog!

We drove around for a while and even stopped by Uncle Ron’s place in Dakota and spent some time with him and Sarah.

On our way back home, we swung by the Dari Ripple where Brett had a Waffle Cone Sundae; I had a Hot Fudge Sundae; Mom had a Butterscotch Dipped Cone, and Gary had a Giant Vanilla Cone.

Aunt Linda showed great restraint by passing up all the goodies and sticking to her diet.

A Rehfeldt passing up food? Unheard of.

Back at Mom and Gary’s, it was hugs and good nights, as we bundled ourselves home for the rest of the evening. Which ended up with the two of us snuggled up on the couch watching the Season 2 Finale of Dr. Quinn before falling asleep.

Not spending Saturday with the people I love the most? Unheard of.

2 comments:

The Beard Bunch said...

I am so with you on the fish! I don't know how many times my friends want to meet at Red Lobster or some other fishy place, for me to only say, "Ok, as long as they also have chicken." Fish are slimy, gooey, legless creatures that should remain in the sea----definitely not on my dinner plate. Gross :)

Wendy said...

I'm with you on the fish, too! UGH!! Yuck. WHY would people eat something that looks, tastes, and smells so gross. I guess there are health benefits, but I can get that from good-tasting stuff!