Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Blogging about Being Blue (Not Blue about Being Blue, Though)

I miss my blog.

When there is no time (or technology – as it happens when you are poor like us) to blog, I find myself pining for my blog.

So, on to my weekend wrap-up!

On Friday, our company joined with three other non-profits for a one day retreat where all the employees took the True Colors personality test.

Later, when I told Brett I had taken a personality test, he gave me a sad look and said, “Oh honey, did you fail?”

DID I FAIL?!

You know, sometimes he almost has me convinced he has no sense of humor, and then he goes and makes a joke, and throws me off all over again!

Anyway, back to the test. We were given four cards with various colors, photos, and graphics on them. The facilitator told us - just by looking at the images on the front – to arrange the cards in order from left to right with the images we felt were most like us on the left and least like us on the right.

Then we filled out a sheet which listed rows of words. We had to score the set of words which we felt were most like us with a 4, the next like us a 3, the next a 2, and the least like us a 1.

When we were all finished scoring, we were able to see which personality color was our brightest (most points) and palest (least points).

I am a blue.

Most of the room was gold. The tiny percent of the rest of us were blue (like me), orange, or green.

Actually, since we are all a spectrum of all four personalities, I am a blue-gold-orange-green. But I’m mostly a blue. A solid third gold. And a tiny, itsy bit orange and an even tinier bit green.

So what is a blue?

On the back of “my” card – the blue card – it lists the traits of a “blue.”

I need to feel unique and authentic.
Enthusiastic, Sympathetic, Personal

I look for meaning and significance in life.
Warm, Communicative, Compassionate

I need to contribute, to encourage, and to care.
Idealistic, Spiritual, Sincere

I value integrity and unity in relationships.
Peaceful, Flexible, Imaginative

I am a natural romantic, a poet, and a nurturer.

At work, I have a strong desire to influence others so they lead more significant lives. I often work in the arts, communications, education, and the helping professions. I am adept at motivating and interacting with others.

In love, I seek harmonious relationships and believe in true love. I am romantic and cherish the small gestures of love. I am affectionate, supportive, and a good listener. I enjoy doing thoughtful things for others. I bring drama, warmth, and empathy to relationships.

In childhood, I was imaginative and creative. I flourished with encouragement rather than competition, and wanted others to like me. I reacted with great sensitivity to discordance or rejection and sought recognition. I responded best to my teachers who were warm and friendly.

So, there you have it. I am a blue.

I have to say after I read the back of the card; I found myself nodding as I saw part of myself reflected back.

Disclaimer: I do not believe in true love; I’m not very flexible, and instead of being “spiritual,” I believe in God, not just some big ‘ol higher power.

After we determined our colors, we were separated into our brightest color groups. Those of us who were blue had a great time.

We made up a grid that reflected what we felt were “blue” joys, strengths, values, and frustrations. Each color group reported out to the main group, so we could all get a better understanding of each personality type.

After that, we were sent to our “palest” color groups – mine was green – and told that we would have to plan a “mock” staff retreat for that color.

Needless to say, our group PROVED green was our palest color, since the green group turned its nose up at our retreat plan.

Still, it wasn’t a total loss. One of the women I work with was in the green group. After I read a little bit about the green personality, I began to understand some of the things that frustrate me about working with her at times.

Enlightening.

Hanging out with the other blues was also a lot of fun. It was sort of like finding solidarity in a sorority I didn’t know I was a member of.

We shared common stories like what drove us crazy at our workplaces, the kind of people who made us want to tear our hair out, and what we loved about our jobs and our various co-workers.

It was sort of amazing to be surrounded by other women who hated competitive games when they were younger, too.

Or who understood why doing something nice for someone else was important, or how people sometimes look down on us for being nice, like we’re stupid for wanting others to succeed.

It was even better when my boss – who is a solid GOLD – stopped by and said how she was glad I was blue, since I help balance her and make our department better.

My new slogan? Blue is Beautiful!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

I've always liked blue.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to know what I am!

Wendy said...

Too bad the test is over $20! I guess I'll never know...

Anonymous said...

There is a great FREE True Colors Personality Test at:
True Colors Test
Check it out!