Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Do Dreams Relay Important Messages?

Last night I dreamed I was in a large, enclosed yard.

Positioned all over the yard were several pieces of huge, adult-sized playground equipment – slides, jungle gyms, hanging bars, swings, along with fake trucks and fake buildings. I was there along with a number of other adults and some children. We were all confused about why we were there.

We took shelter in a large “play” building custom-made to look like an old fashioned ghost town jail. As we talked, we tried to find a connection to why we were there. The only connection we could come up with was that one of the children was my Cousin Brad’s infant son (in my dream he was about eight).

Then, instantly, I was transported to a diner. I was having enchiladas at Dairy Queen (because that’s what people have at Dairy Queen in their dreams apparently) with my Cousin Charity. She was telling me how our waitress used to be an old high school friend with whom I had fallen out of touch (this is true in real life).

Charity then proceeded to tell me that she (Charity) had told this girl that I hated her (this girl) and that I would rather DIE than be friends with her.

“Why did you do that?” I demanded.

“Because I wanted you to reconnect with her, and I knew you couldn’t handle her thinking that about you, so you’d at least go talk to her and straighten it out,” she said.

Which actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it – I mean, for a dream and all.

At that point, our waitress came over to take our order (Again? We’d just had an entire 8 x 13” pan of enchiladas.) and let me know how mad she was at me.

“My mom’s mad at you, too,” she said, pointing a finger to the cashier behind the Dairy Queen counter. It was her mom! (In real life, her mom’s past retirement age!).

I had a brief flashback to the adult-sized playground, where I was laying on my back in the ghost town jail building reading a book.

Then my dream was over.

I tried to find hidden messages, as I do in all my dreams, but this one was a little hard to translate.

I think the important message was that I need to reconnect with this childhood friend. I have been thinking about her a lot lately. I know she lives in town, attends a church I know, and now has several children of her own.

We fell out of touch when I was in college, because my boyfriend at the time (now my husband) and I didn’t really like the lifestyle her new husband (they’d gotten married right out of high school) was leading.

It was an immature response, and since that time, we’ve both come to be ashamed at how we acted, deserting them when perhaps that was the very reason God had placed us in their lives.

I’ve always felt bad about that, and when I had the chance to rectify it about a year and a half ago – running into her at Beef-a-Roo – I fowled it up badly by dismissing her. I was actually just insecure about myself, but I handled it poorly.

And I lamented my actions afterward. If I could have kicked myself, I would have.

So, if I’m parsing my dream correctly, perhaps this is the time to call her and see if she wants to reconnect.

Perhaps, somewhere in Rockford, there is an adult-sized playground where we could go and talk.

Any other interpretations?

P.S. – I think the “ghost town jail” comes from watching too many promos for the upcoming Kid Nation show. Just a theory.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

nah, it means you have to take a trip out west where there are a rew real "live" ghost towns.
ha

Wendy said...

WOw. I never remember dreams that vividly. Could because I never get three straight hours of sleep...

Old frienships rekindled. That's a toughy. I definetly think it's a good idea to keep things on a peaceful level, and set an example when you can... but I can't see resuming a CLOSE friendship with someone whose lifestyle is totally ummatched to yours. We had a similiar conflict with an old friend of mine. I didn't want that influence around my kids... so I let the friendship go.

Wendy said...

And, wow, photos in your blogs! That's new!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I think it means that you weren't sleeping soundly enough. People who sleep soundly don't remember their dreams. But I think the jumbled business of the playground and enchiladas at Dairy Queen and etc only go to show how difficult it can be to take apart life and put it back together coherently.
As far as reaching a friend who you dismissed for the wrong reasons... I think there's no time like the present. Give her a call, send her a message, but most of all say lots of prayers for her on the way.
Every awful person needs a good Christian friend...even if that person is awful by association. Just look at me. I've done everything wrong and usually the Christians in my life have only been available for condemnation...at those times....and maybe haven't been around at all.
I'll pray for wisdom on your part. And maybe for a nice confirming dream that clears things up a bit. If you end up eating ice cream at Dairy Queen,for example, the rest of the activities might hold a little more weight too. Maybe?