Tuesday, September 25, 2007

130 Days & Nights

Warning: This is a post about woman “stuff” (as my husband refers to it). Fair warning!

Well, all the signs were there.

Of all people, I should know the signs. Heaven knows, I’ve googled them hundreds of time.

My breasts were sore. I was nauseous. I had headaches and was constantly fatigued. My back and ankles were sore. I was tired all the time. And, (according to the pregnancy sites I’ve googled over the past four years) the biggest sign…I’d gone 130 days since my last period.

Could it finally be?

I spent the last couple of nights thinking about the possibility. Imagining names, picking out colors and themes, and thinking of how I’d tell my mom. But I still resisted taking the test. I knew in my mind that I would rather imagine I was pregnant than deal with the harsh reality that I might not be.

And, I mean, 130 days? How could I ask for a clearer sign?

Candice came over last night, and I told her about my dilemma. I’d been nursing my dream in secret, so it was like ripping off a band-aid off to tell someone.

“Take the test,” Candice told me. “Otherwise, you’re building up false hope, and you know how hard you are going to take it if it’s not positive.”

But, like me, she was excited with the possibility. It very well could be.

This morning I took the test. Waited the two minutes. And faced the dull reality of that one blue line. 130 days, no period, and no baby.

I felt raw inside. Candice was right. That false hope ripped out my insides and threw them in a heap across the floor. The blue line mocked me from the counter, and I felt like a fool for all my pie in the sky baby dreams.

In spite of the thick wall of not-pregnant immunity I’ve tried to build up, I spilled the whole thing to Mom this morning over the phone. (That’ll teach her to call me for computer assistance! :-))

Since Mom went through this exact same experience when she and Dad were trying for me for 11 years, she was a great comfort. We talked about how God opens and closes the womb; how His ways and timing are perfect, and how He made our bodies and knows them better than we ever could.

I felt better after talking to Mom. Better but still let down.

It’s so hard sometimes.

But faith is trusting in something I can’t see. And I can’t see a baby or God. But God is there. I know He loves me, so I have to trust He will take care of me in His perfect way. Giving what He desires for me in His perfect time.

And resting content in whatever, whenever that may be.

If you should feel so inclined, I’d appreciate a couple of your prayers, too.

8 comments:

Robin Hayes said...

I am so sorry, Ann-Marie. I am so glad that you have someone to talk to and counsel with, who will give you Godly advice. I cannot imagine your heartache, but I will pray.

Unknown said...

Ann-Marie,
I will be praying for you. I some small way, I feel your pain as Jeremy and I have been trying to get pregnant for more than 4 years now. I thank God that both you and I have been given good godly counsel on this difficult life-trial. May He be glorified in all things!
Anouk

Karyn said...

Ann-Marie,
People think that only married women trying to have kids struggle with this issue, but I am learning that the longer I am single that this is not true. It is difficult for me every month because I think "how much time do I have left?" There are no options for anything other than trusting and waiting. I love you and am praying for you.

JennieB said...

My heart aches for you Ann-Marie. Your "story" is one that I know so well. I understand how you can know all the signs, have all the signs and still there is only one blue line. And I too remember the emptiness of knowing that it "didn't" matter to anyone else as much as it did to me. How I wish that I could use a wand to heal the pain in the only way that you long for the pain to be healed. I can't. For some of us God has chosen this trial to lead us through. I know from personal experience that God used my barrenness to draw me closer to Himself and to see what His best plan for me was. And I know that it was through my barrenness that He has allowed me to see the beauty of adoption. I am so thankful that the Lord leads each of us in His perfect way. Now I glory in the fact that I have never experienced "Two blue lines", but that I am part of a God appointed family with two beautiful children that are snuggled down for their naps even now. But 10 years ago only the two blue lines mattered to me. I'm grateful to a gracious God that moves my heart to love what He loves, and continually draws me to Himself.

Do I say all this to say that adoption is your answer? No. God chose adoption for me, and put in my heart a love for my children. He is a Good God that will draw you to Himself as you go to Him with your struggles and tears, and He will lead you and Bret to what He has in store for you.

I am praying for you as I am for Anouk and Karyn.

Ann-Marie said...

Thank you so much for your love, prayers, and support! It means a lot to know I'm not alone.

One thing Mom said this morning struck a cord with me. She noted how infertility was a subject tackled in the Bible, and if God thought it important enough to include that it should still ring true for me.

She said how hard it must have been for Sarah, Hannah, and Rachel. How, even that long ago, women struggled with pregnancy and infertility. I'd never thought of it that way, and it helps to know that God actually CARES about what goes in my womb. That He designed me - all of me - and takes an active interest.

I'm grateful,so gratful for your godly counsel, guidance, and compassion!

Deb said...

Ann-Marie,
I am praying for you.
Love your cousin,
Deborah

Wendy said...

I'm so sorry, Ann-Marie. I will be praying for you...

Juliet said...

Ann-Marie Joy..I just cried. Love you. Mom