Monday, September 10, 2007

Breakfast and Bible Hour Reviewed! Plus Two New Movies!

Not much time to blog! Just a quick weekend wrap-up.

I wasn’t planning anything special on Friday night, but Angie e-mailed me last minute, and we were able to squeeze in two movies.

Stardust was on the Five Buck Club movie list. It was SO good. Great acting turns by Michelle Pfeiffer, Claire Danes, and Robert DeNiro.

The second movie was the totally rocked-out western remake of 3:10 to Yuma. Neither Angie nor I are into angry man Russell Crowe, but he did a great job, and we both agreed that you can grunge up Christian Bale, amputate his leg, and STILL cannot hide his amazing genetics! But, in the case of this movie, he also turned in a strong performance. Really great movie for action freaks like me and Angie.

Brett and I slept in most of Saturday. Well, he slept, and I got about halfway through my NEW (old) book The Bone Yard by Scottish author Paul Johnston. It’s part of his Quintilian Dalrymple series. I love reading in bed!

Saturday night we finally filled up our fridge with a fun grocery trip to Wal-Mart. I’m not being sarcastic. We took our time perusing the aisles and had as much people watching (and commenting) as we did shopping.

Sunday was the premiere of Morning Star’s Bible and Breakfast Hour. We were impressed. I was mostly impressed because they had raspberry yogurt which is my second favorite yogurt (after peach…nothing beats peach). Most business breakfasts I attend only have strawberry (yeech) and strawberry banana (ick). So, kudos to the breakfast committee for breaking the taste barrier. YUM!

They also had hard-boiled eggs which Brett loves. At least, I think they were hard boiled. Seeing as I stay as far away as possible from eggs, I’m guessing that’s how they were prepared. Personally, I prefer my eggs ensconced in a gooey, fudgy cake mix. Either way, Brett went back for seconds, so they definitely have his stamp of approval.

The format was wonderfully refreshing. It’s like Sunday School for the whole family! Mr. Jeremy (of Kids 4 Truth fame) was the moderator. The other men on the panel were Ed Foster, Chris Metras, and Pastor.


Jeremy, who may have missed his calling as a game show host or presidential debate moderator, kept the conversation hopping as Ed discussed the famed (and now-I-know-he’s-dead-stop-laughing-already-Aaron) C. H. Spurgeon.

Pastor taught on Angelology, and I learned a thing or two about how angels are at work in our everyday lives. This was a part of the new format I especially enjoyed.


While I would never raise my hand in the middle of a Sunday School Lesson to ask a question, Jeremy (as the discussion moderator) expressed my own concerns when he interjected that he was always a little suspicious when people talked about angels. Pastor was able to answer him (and, by extension, me), and I really felt like I understood what was being taught.

Chris Metras called all the kids up front and taught a lesson on listening to God. Brett and I especially enjoyed this part of the hour, since we don’t have kids of our own. It was like eavesdropping on a kids' Sunday School lesson. We loved hearing the kids’ responses to Chris’ questions, including several which made the whole congregation chuckle!

Afterwards, pastor preached a stirring message on Hebrews 12, Esau, and repentance.

I got hit with a major migraine (which seems to happen every time the temperatures shift) at around 4:00 p.m. Sunday afternoon, so I spent the rest of the day in bed.


Although, I was thinking that if I HAVE to get a migraine, I’d rather not have it on a Saturday or during a work day, so late Sunday night is the best…although I hated not being able to go to evening services, especially after such an amazing morning.

Brett was sweet as could be – he gave me a massage and brought me Peanut M&M’s and Diet Coke. Awww….

And now, it’s back to the grindstone. Ready or not, here comes another week!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Wow-- so neat that I can download the service!! Thanks for that link. I need to hear more good services. Wish I could have sat in on the angelology, too.

Wendy said...

And I'm with you on peach yogurt! Lemon and blueberry are yummy, too. And even vanilla ypgurt is yummy in blender drinks. I also like boiled eggs, though.

Ann-Marie said...

If you can download the sermons, I would TOTALLY recommend it. Our pastor is one of the most biblical and gifted expositors of the Word I have ever heard (hey, that rhymed!). It would be worth your time, most definitely.

Also, on the yogurt - my favorites go - peach, raspberry, cherry, mixed berry, lime, lemon, and if they have chocolate...oh yeah, baby!

P.S. - There were no raisins (i.e. squishy bugs) in sight!

Heidi said...

I hated to miss the first Bible and Breakfast hour, but it was our Wisconsin Dells weekend, see my blog on the details. Sounds good though. I personally like Strawberry, raspberry, and blueberry yogurts best. I am glad that there were no squishy bugs in sight, and I can take or leave boiled eggs, so either way, I'm good.
Thankfully, the day seemed to be a success, so there will be many more to come so that we can participate this weekend as well.