Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Make Mine Chocolate

Since Alice is taking care of Holy Week on her blog, I shall attempt to address another, much less spiritual, aspect of Easter - the giving of animals as Easter gifts.

Each year, unwanted, former Easter rabbits fill local rabbit rescues and humane societies. The goal of the “Make Mine Chocolate!™” campaign is to break the cycle of acquisition and relinquishment by educating the public about the responsibilities involved in keeping a companion rabbit before a rabbit is brought home.

If you or someone you know are considering purchasing or rescuing a rabbit to keep as a pet, check out the Interactive Bun feature of the Make Mine Chocolate website.

Please join me in encouraging everyone you know to “Make Mine Chocolate” when it comes to bunnies during this Easter season!

P.S. - Here’s an excellent article from Georgia Agriculture Commissioner Irvin discouraging the practice of giving animals as Easter presents.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I have no desire to give my kids animals for Easter gifts, so you have nothing to worry about with me.

Ann-Marie said...

I figure most of my readers are intelligent, compassionate people who know better than to do this.

But, I still feel the need to spread the word. Speaking of bunny responsibility, I get to go home and be immersed in bunny poo as I clean out the cages - oh, the glamour of rabbit ownership! :-)

Perhaps I will be rewarded by a bunny snuggle later (most probable).

Alice said...

So true. No baby bunnies, chicks, or ducks as gifts. That was like when the movie "101 Dalmatians" came out, and everyone rushed to give their child a Dalmatian puppy. Never mind that Dalmatians are plagued with health problems and not the greatest dogs to give to kids. Shortly after, the shelters were full of them.

Anyway, thanks for getting the word out!

Anonymous said...

I never would have thought to gift a bunny, chick or duck. Hmmm. I didn't realize this was a big problem at all. Interesting.

Wendy said...

Hey, hey, hey!! I have a bunny now!! It adopted us. Just showed up one day, all black and white and fluffy. It lives in our shed. No idea where it came from or what to do with it. We just don't bother it, and it doesn't bother us. Every morning we see it come out and eat grass and stuff, then it jumps around for awhile and goes back in the shed. Very strange. What should I do?? And how did I fail to blog about this? Hmmm... I'll email you a picture or two, and maybe you can tell me what kind it is. Seems very tame.