Wednesday, October 17, 2007

See What I Lived With?!

I laughed my way through Mom’s latest post.

Growing up with two book worm parents in a house with no TV MADE me who I am today. I love to read, and (since Mom’s post points out why my parents refused to explain definitions to me) I became well-acquainted with the well-worn copy of Webster’s Dictionary Dad kept on the kitchen bookshelf. I remember asking my Mom and Dad what certain words meant and they would kindly pull out that old dictionary and say, “Let’s look it up and see.”


There were no quick and easy answers in the Trotter household. By gummy, we worked to find the right answer!

Reading mom’s post was like going back in time, and I enjoyed the trip down memory lane.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Sounds like a "gumshoe" to me. My parents would say something like "go look it up in the dictionary"

Unknown said...

My mother always made me do that too. You are not alone! :)

Wendy said...

You have no idea-- my parents are English majors!! My Dad went on to get his masters in business. They both minored in Bible. There were no easy answers in our house either. It was a long lesson or explanation or research every time... and I was homeschooled for many years.