Thursday, October 04, 2007

Resolution #1

Explanation:
It’s only October. Hardly the time to be making New Year’s Resolutions. But I figure if I start focusing on what needs to be changed in my life NOW then maybe I’ll have made these resolutions into healthy habits by January – making those NYR easier to keep all year long.

This is the first in a series of resolutions I’m going to make to better my life.


That said, I know that all I do should glorify God, so when I say “I” then I mean “with the Lord’s help and according to His will” – “I” will try ______ or will try to stop _____ . Like, for instance, barring some flesh-eating disease, “I’ll” probably never be a size 6 – so that wouldn’t be an advisable resolution.

I will try to keep you up to date on how I am doing on each resolution. As always, your prayers and support – in the comments sections – are SO appreciated.


Here we go:

When I look at my life, in its whole humanly scope, I’m rather (clipped British accent) depressed.

Where have my dreams gone? Those lofty goals I’d hoped to accomplish have vanished into a hum-drum existence l feel I have no control over.

I used to spring out of bed at the first peal of the alarm. Now, I find myself rolling over and slapping the alarm like it said something dirty about my mother.

You might think it’s no big deal to become an early morning slacker. So what? More than half of the world probably likes to sleep in. But I used to embrace the morning. From childhood to college, I’d leap out of bed and face the day early with my spirits high. Now my first word rolling out of bed ranges from Ugh to Umfph.

I hate being late for work. I hate having to decide between working out, my devotions, eating breakfast, and writing a note to a friend – when I could have time to do them all if I just got up a little earlier.

No excuses.


Resolution #1 – I’m going to stop sleeping in. I'm going to become a morning person again!

3 comments:

The Beard Bunch said...

You are so right, Ann-marie! I consider myself a morning person (somewhat), but I still look forward to Saturday when I have no real reason to get up early and enjoy sleeping in late. I was just telling Gary the other day that I feel that I have no real "goal" or ambitions at this point in my life. I mean, as a kid, you have all these dreams.....then, you find your prince....you get a job you enjoy....and.......you just end up in a comfortable routine, most likely not pushing any ambitions. Good reminder that it is ok to make NYR, even in October :)

Anonymous said...

I can testify to the fact that you used to spring out of bed... in the truest sense of the word "spring". I never did nor have since understood how a person can get up like that... it's like how I might get up if I were to turn off the alarm and wake up again just in time to realize I had five minutes to accomplish 20 minutes worth of activity.

Wendy said...

I also used to be a morning person... until my kids became "morning people." Now I seem to accomplish so little at 6am that I kinda dread getting up. Maybe I should rise at 5am? That would probably make more sense than staying up until midnight to clean and de-stress...

And, if you have to choose, I'd say take a walk while listening to a Bible CD (I recommend the Gospel of John). You get in your devotions AND get your blood pumpin'.