Friday, October 05, 2007

One Foot in the Grave

After work yesterday, I went to the salon to get my shaggy mane de-shaggified.

Okay, “the salon” is really Cost Cutters, but we poor non-profit people have precious little money to spare on upscale hair care boutiques. Besides, both Brett and I have been happy with our discount hair cuts, and no one has mistaken us for homeless people yet – which is a plus.

My normal stylist was off work yesterday, so I had a new girl. And when I say “girl” I mean it. She was this itty bitty thing, probably no older than Hannah Montana. She was very sweet and promised to give my hair a nice layered look. As she was happily cutting, we started having a conversation.

Her: Wow, you have a lot of hair.
Me: Thanks.

Her: It’s a good thing you came it to have it thinned out.
Me: Yes, it was getting really heavy. My style was going flat by 2 p.m. most days.

Her: Oh, look. I found a gray hair.
Me: Are you serious?

Her: Oh, here’s another one.
Me: Are you serious? I’m only 29.

Her: Do you want me to pull them out and show you?
Me: Are you serious? I mean, seriously?

Her: Oh yeah. Have you ever thought of coloring your hair?
Me: No. I like my hair color.

Her: Hmm… here’s another one.
Me: AAAUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!

Her: Well, if you color your hair, you won’t have a problem with volume anymore.
Me: Oh, would coloring my hair be good for it?

Her: No. I just meant it’ll dry out your hair. You know, so it’ll be lighter. More brittle.
Me: Oh.

Her: Well, we’re just about done here, ma’am.
Me: You don’t have to call me ma’am. I’m only 29.

Her: Right. Ma’am. So, that’ll be $22.

I have gray hair? I HAVE GRAY HAIR??? NOW!? I’m still in shock. I never dreamed I would have to deal with gray hair until I was, say… 50. Okay, okay, a little unrealistic. But at 29?! In my 20’s still? It couldn’t have waited one more year?!

I’ve never wanted to color my hair. I LIKE the color of my hair. But if the “color of my hair” is going to be gray. That means I’ll HAVE to color it. I don’t want to be a gray-headed lady at 29 or 30!

So, I’m already thinking how much money it will be to keep it up every month so I don’t have roots showing. I never had to worry about “roots” when I was young, say in my teens, and still a brunette. I’d like to repeat: AAAUUGGHH!!!

You know, the only thing worse than being told I have one foot in the grave, is being told by a little Hannah Montana look-a-like!

6 comments:

Robin Hayes said...

Ok, so it probably wasn't my first, but I did find my first bonified, confirmed gray hair a couple of weeks ago or so. And I already color my hair - the biggest clue was that it was light (looked blond) but didn't have the dark root. *sigh* I completely feel your pain! Except for the part about liking your hair color and not wanting to color it. Unlike your own contentment, I prefer the artificial blond look I have acquired. That song "You're so vain" so totally applies to me! :)

And don't worry about Hannah Montana. I just was chatting with my cousin about the things that little college kids say. They have no clue that life really can go on and be fun after college! And *gasp* into your 30s and beyond!

Heidi said...

I started graying when I was 18. A little over the counter color now and then with a "real" salon color every so often gives me the nice "blonde" you see today.

The Beard Bunch said...

You don't have to color it, if you like your hair color. I have had gray hair for several years now, but it just kind of blends in with my dishwater blonde. I guess the real question is....how fast will the gray overtake your head???????

P.S. My mom started graying and coloring her hair at 18. Maybe it runs in the family a little.

Anonymous said...

Sergio has white hair since he was in his teens... Esteban already has some white hairs and even Diego and Sergio Andres are following in that heredity... my dad's cousin was bald at 18! I think a few gray hairs will be likely to go unnoticed... and I wouldn't let a Hannah Montana hair stylist guide your entire decision... isn't that kind of like taking advied from the mechanic who would be getting your money when you spend more on the tune up?
Keep your hair color! You're beautiful.

Wendy said...

haha. My hubby is still in his 20s also, and has gray hairs. I don't think he would ever consider coloring it.
Do what works for you and makes you feel good. I color mine, with over-the-counter. It's very close to natural, so I don't have to touch up often. I don't do highlights anymore for that reason.

mom2mine said...

my first showed up near the sme time in my like. I still deal with one every once in a while!

I really came here to check on you. I hope you are okay. Heidi sent me an email, but I wanted to let you know that I was praying for you. Hope you feel good soon.