Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Return of the Horrible Hosts, Part II

Some people never learn.

In spite of our proven poor hosting skills, the Sturgills have decided to give us another chance. The whole (Aaron) Sturgill crew, six strong, is coming to stay with us this weekend for Grandma’s 90th birthday party.

We are delighted they have asked us to host them again, in spite of almost boiling them in hot water and virtually starving and almost-maiming their children upon their last visit.

Among the things we learned during that last visit:

Leaving candles burning on low-to-the-ground end tables is a no-no. Either the children will burn themselves, or ask if it is their birthday and then proceed to blow out ALL said candles.

Children should not drink out of real glass glasses. After learning this the hard way and chipping a glass dropped on the floor, I had to hunt for plastic cups. The only one we had was one of Brett’s old Miller Lite cups he’d gotten from who-knows-where when he was in high school.

P.S. – Small child drinking out of a plastic beer cup looks very weird and feels wrong, somehow.

However, we loved having them visit us and are in kind of shock-happiness that they actually want to come back.

Brett, who normally is not (shall we say) receptive to small children even standing 100 yards in FRONT of our house nodded his head enthusiastically when I asked if the Sturgills could stay.

“Yes, yes!” Picture enthusiastic head-nodding.

“You understand they have four (I held up four fingers, just to be sure) children?”

“Yes, of course. Call him back NOW! Yea!” Okay, okay, he didn’t actually say “Yea!’ but I could tell he was thinking it.

I did, however, actually say, “Yea!” when I called Aaron back.

We are so excited they are coming! We promise to try and be better hosts, but da, da, DUM…you know…anyone who visits us, stays at their own risk!

Good luck to you. And don’t worry; we fixed the hot water heater!

I think…

7 comments:

The Beard Bunch said...

Ann-marie, I am so glad that I read your blog for two reasons: 1)it keeps me informed. I didn't even know my brother was going to Gramma's party. Thank God, I have you to keep me posted. 2)It is always a good laugh :) You are a great host. My kids loved it!

Procrastinators Unite! ... Tomorrow said...

Hi Ann-marie, I'm October's friend Emma. She's been telling me and telling me that I need to come read your blog. I'm glad I finally did, it's very good! I hope you post again soon.

Wendy said...

You are hilarious!! Have I told you before that you remind me of my sister? The whole no-plastic-glasses and low-burning-candles is so her. ;-D Yes, those are good lessons you learned!!

Here's a couple more:
Never leave a toddler alone in or near a bathroom. Mine loves to sail ships in the potty!

Give every child the same color/ style of things whenever possible. All yellow cups, all white plates. This prevents SO many arguments!!

Anonymous said...

Children do teach many lessons! There's a reason God is our Father.... and then too, marriage teaches many lessons... and the church is His bride. I love those analogies!
Please post the results of the visit...many of us are on the edge of our seats waiting to read the outcome =)

Linda said...

Ann-Marie!! WHAT are you talking about?!?! We always have a BLAST when we come to your house! Why do you think we keep pestering you when we come to town? :) I asked Aaron if he remembered what you were talking about and neither of us remember any of those things happening. What does that say for us? :( I was hoping that 2 nights with FOUR kids was not going to be overwhelming for you and Brett. I am also waiting on the edge of my seat to see the outcome of this visit. It will be a good one if we leave with nothing broken. I'm praying for that.

SturgillMom said...

We were wondering where the Sturgill crew was going to stay. We sure wish we could have been there to party today, but I am sure that you all had a blast. I'm sure you were great hosts and they had a blast with you all!

Wendy said...

I like the way you add in comments that your husband is thinking. ha. We know them so well! :-)