Monday, August 27, 2007

Thirsty for More

I was so young when we left Church #1 that most of my memories are just vague recollections of kindly Sunday School teachers and a wonderfully heroic Senior Pastor whom I adored.

Church #2 was a disaster of epic proportions. It was where my father suffered through a debilitating mid-life crisis; I learned about legalism at the seat of its master; and my mother discovered that not even having family close by was worth spiritual torture.

Our family found its stride in Church #3 where we were accepted (warts and all) and loved. I spent the bulk of my teenage years, my college summers, and the first part of my married life happily ensconced in the comfort bubble of Church #3.

The decision to leave Church #3 was difficult and resulted from number of factors, mostly from the realization that for all the love, comfort, and familiarity of our church family, we, personally, were not growing spiritually.

Now, we are at Church #4, and I can honestly say it is the best place for our hearts. The Lord led us, clearly and with no doubts, to this amazing congregation of believers.

We were discussing this last night, and I felt the need to blog about the conversation.

I remember at Church #2 when the pastor would go on and on and on for up to three hours, and all the church people would be exasperated. Nothing of worth was expounded on in those extra two hours, and it seemed like extra time for appearance’s sake, only.

When my family attended Church #3, the main thing that impressed me (upon first perusal as a 13 year old) was the short sermon length. Over the years, I became enamored with the wonderful church family and my involvement in the ministries of the Lord’s house. However, I cannot honestly look back and point to specific spiritual truths I learned during those years.

The bulk of my spiritual learning was done in four short but intense years at
Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. Part of the reason we left Church #3 shortly after we graduated was because we saw what we COULD be learning compared to what we were NOT learning.

But Church #4 is a different story. We go to church hungry to learn. Thirsty to hear. We revel in the Word. We are convicted. Our toes are bruised, and still we come back for more. It is like a burning need where before there was only festering apathy.

Last night was a prime example. We had a missionary presentation, two testimonies for church membership, AND a sermon. It was two hours long, and it felt like 30 minutes had barely passed. We didn’t feel the time, because it was flying by. We were being blessed.

I know two hours at another church would have FELT like two hours, but here it felt like a flash. Sort of how I imagine a tiny second in heaven might pass!

Just a little blessing we experienced that I wanted to pass along.

6 comments:

Robin Hayes said...

I was so blessed by yesterdays' services as well! I was impressed with how God fit the services together and how they complemented each other's themes. It was a wonderful day!

Ann-Marie said...

We talked about it all the way home. There was such continuity in the services, unplanned, I think, that God brought together. We are SO fortunate, aren't we?

Heidi said...

It is a lot harder to be happy for a long sermon when you are in the nursery trying to keep a group of 6 toddlers and 2 infants (one crying non stop) occupied.
But I did hear that it was a great service.

The Beard Bunch said...

Isn't it nice to be in a church where you receive a blessing EVERY week? Gary and I were discussing the same thing yesterday. I am glad that you and Brett have that. I think we have matured a bit too, in comparison to our outlooks of church #1 and #2 :)

Wendy said...

I'm so happy that you have that church. What a blessing for you.

mel said...

Thanks for posting that. I felt the same way after yesterday- I was thinking about the fact that the service was going longer, but I didn't care because it was so good! The whole day was just spiritually refreshing.