Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Hector, My Little Honey

I spent most of Monday afternoon and early evening at Mom’s. Together, we figured out how to download photos and videos from her new digital camera to her PC. It was fun for me to work with relevant IT, and Mom was able to get some hands-on technology experience.

I had planned to use most of Tuesday to do nothing. I was going to lay around and watch Dr. Quinn episodes and my new He-Man and the Masters of Universe Commemorative DVD rental from Netflix.


Since most of my other “unscheduled” days had filled up, as wonderful as they were, I was looking forward to some down time.

Alas, it was not to be.

When I first announced my vacation, my friend Wendy said she would consider it a vacation to go through one day and not get pooped on.

“How funny!” I thought at the time.

When I went upstairs on Tuesday to feed the bunnies and take a shower, I saw poor little Hector just miserable, quivering in the corner. There was wet bunny poo EVERYWHERE!

Out of my three bunnies, Hector is the most tidy about his litter box habits. I could tell he felt awful about not being able to control his bowels. I scooped him up (therefore, indeed, getting pooped on – thanks for the foreshadowing, Wendy) and called our vet.

I was then disheartened to find our vet no longer worked at that animal clinic. In fact, the clinic had NO exotic animal vet. They recommended I call another clinic; that clinic had an exotic vet, but she was on vacation. On my third try, I finally reached a clinic that had an exotic vet who was actually in the office.

By God’s grace, I got an afternoon appointment. I called Mom for moral support, just in case. She kindly offered to take me and her “grand bunny” to the vet.

The financial cost of the new vet was HIGH to say the least, easily twice the previous clinic’s cost. However, I liked this vet right off the bat. She was gentle with Hector and spoke with a degree of respect for animals that I find lacking in most people.

After taking numerous samples and administering intravenous fluids for my little guy, she diagnosed him with a bacterial infection. We have to give him medication twice a day for seven days, but it looks like he will pull through.

This morning, he looked a little more chipper (still under the weather, though). He was drinking just fine though, so I think he should be able to stay hydrated. Of course, we are in a pinch for groceries, since we used our grocery money to pay the vet bill. Guess it’s Cheerios and pasta for the rest of the week!

We are so grateful our little guy is going to be okay - it will totally be worth it.

Almost all of my Tuesday, the last day of my vacation, was taken up with rabbit parent duties. None of which included down time.

All in all, though, my vacation was really wonderful. Even if I did get pooped on.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Oops! Sorry about the jinx! At least it was only one day of being pooped on... I have a 2 year old and a 4-month old in diapers, if that makes you feel better! :-)

Anonymous said...

Just think if you didn't have down time...it would have been bunny troubles plus dancing around trying to get work done... I'm glad Hector is feeling better. Having sick pets is much like having sick children...almost exactly and often more expensive.

Heidi said...

ditto Wendy. Try having twins in diapers, yikes.