Thursday, August 09, 2007

Sucked into Reality (Show, That Is)

How many years has Survivor been on TV now? Fourteen, fifteen years?

I remember when it was introduced, and I thought, “You couldn’t PAY me to watch this show!”

I was more surprised than anyone when it became a stellar hit.

Knowing my aversion to all things outdoors, you’ll understand why I can never bring myself to watch more than a few minutes.

Since camping is equal to cruel and unusual punishment in my mind, it is beyond reason to me why people would televise and/or watch and/or participate in such a disgusting spectacle.

Every year I see the promos for it on TV, and my psyche responds with a gut reaction.

“Ewwwwww.” A slight pause. Then. “Yucky.” Often followed by, “yucky, yucky.”

So, you might think I am well protected from the reality show temptation.

Not so.

A couple of years ago, I got sucked into the sleazy-almost-bordering-on-salacious Fox show Paradise Hotel. It was more “spa” than Survivor with gorgeous hotel guests completing “challenges” in the tropical blue water off the coast of a luxurious island.

There was a lot of whispering, conniving, manipulating, back-stabbing, and politicking to see who would win the prize. As I remember it, the prize was some obscene amount of money.

I would watch the show in secret, often waiting until Brett headed upstairs to work on bills or watch his shows. I knew, in my heart of hearts, what would happen if he caught me watching my “trashy” show.

Sure enough, one night he came downstairs for ice cream and saw me mesmerized by the blue glow of the TV and the provocative antics of my Paradise Hotel friends.

He gave me the famous “husband eyebrow raise.”

The look that says, “Hey, you’re a grown woman, and I can’t tell you what to do, but are you sure you want to be watching that? Would the woman I married watch that?”

And that was that. I was shamed by a single eyebrow.

I said goodbye to my Paradise Hotel friends and figured I would be safe from now on.

Uh-huh. Sure.

Well, it has happened again.

Not with Paradise Hotel, thank goodness. But with Big Brother.

Big Stupid Brother.

It’s like a train wreck where I just can’t look away.

Now, these houseguests keep a great deal MORE of their clothes on, but all the other stuff – backstabbing, conniving, and manipulation – is all there.

I find myself siding with alliances. I feel like I actually know these people.

But I don’t. Yet I care who wins. I inexplicably, unapologetically CARE WHO WINS!

Why? It’s not like they’re going to give ME the $500,000.

So, here I am again. Stuck in reality show madness.

I guess it makes sense that I would gravitate to Big Brother as opposed to a Survivor.

The Survivor people are outside on a remote island. The Big Brother people are safely sheltered in a mansion-sized house. The Survivor contestants have to fend for themselves. The Big Brother contestants have food catered in. Both shows, of course, do come complete with friends who will stab you in the back as soon as possible.

Perhaps, best of all, while the Survivor set deals with bugs, humidity, and parasites, the Big Brother house comes fully equipped with flushing toilets, air-conditioning, and comfy over-sized beds.

Which reality show do YOU think I would want to be on?

10 comments:

Karyn said...

Ann-Marie, I think we need to schedule an intervention. This is a serious start down the sliding slope of reality show addiction. I love and care about you. SEEK HELP NOW!!!! :-)

Ann-Marie said...

Must...not...watch...must...turn...away...AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Wendy said...

Ha, ha, ha!! Since I'm not a TV person, and I truly do hate reality shows, I can't really sympathize. (And I DO L-O-V-E to be outdoors and to camp, etc)

I would agree that an intervention is necessary. You may have to go to some extremes...Bring out the tent and the bug spray!! Disconnect the cable!

Ann-Marie said...

Wendy,
Not a TV person! Not a TV person!!! How can that be? How can anyone NOT BE A TV PERSON? It...it boggles the mind!

And you love the outdoors, too? I'm starting to see how and Tob would come to be friends!

Ha! :-)

I wish I had cable. Actually, I don't since my temptation would be 100 x worse!

Heidi said...

I actually like to camp. We used to camp a lot growing up and I do kind of miss it, though staying in hotels is kind of nice.

I don't watch much tv, but I do like the reality show, The Amazing Race. Usually they leave all their clothes on (except when swimming), and there is the back stabbing and manipulating that goes on in your favorite.

When I see the previews for the next survivor I just roll my eyes and say, "again? How many more islands are there that these people can survive on". I am waiting for them to find an island of cannibals.

Ann-Marie said...

Hmm..cannibals on the Survivor island. I'm totally in favor of that idea! Oh wait, let's make 'em survive one year in a high schol like the ones we went to...yeah, that'd be good! I'd watch it - now that it's not me anymore...

Wendy said...

You don't have cable? I thought you had to have cable to watch this kind of stuff. Shows you how much I know. I don't even watch the news, I just read it all on the computer. I seriously would not own a tv if it were up to me. And, yes, I do love the outdoors, like Tob. Camping isn't real camping unless you have a tent! :-)

Wendy said...

I did hear about some reality show that involves moms switching houses, though, and sometimes I think I would like to try that, and maybe my kids would appreciate things more when I got back!

Heidi said...

Wendy,
That is called wife swap or trading spaces. One is on abc and the other on fox. I have watched it occasionally. Usually it is two complete opposite families. One time it was a wiccan priestess switching with a Christian pastor's wife. That got interesting.

Wendy said...

Sheesh-- I don't think I'd let a Wiccan priestess anywhere near my kids! What was she thinking? Maybe I wouldn't like to try that, afterall...