Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What’s In A Name

A while ago, I posted one of my major pet peeves – people who keep their baby’s name a secret. It was one of my most commented-on posts and prompted much good-natured discussion.

One thing I love about having a blog is being able to express my own personal feelings, opinions, and convictions, even when I know they’re not going to be popular (I’m including the flip-flop post!).


After all, that’s what makes me who I am.

I find exploring who I am through blogging is a rewarding experience. I don’t expect everyone to be like me (what a wacked out world that would be), and I cherish my family and friends who are different and wonderful all in their own way.

That said, I want to say I am 100% happy we announced our baby’s name prior to his arrival.

First of all, describing how we came to decide on Samuel (and his bounty of other names) was a gratifying exercise in writing for me. Giving the honor and glory to God for this miracle as early as possible just felt right.

Secondly, someone’s name is their most identifying factor. Samuel is not just an ethereal idea anymore; he’s not just “Baby Sod.” He’s a real person. Naming him (and announcing it now) gives him pre-birth solidity and tangibility. People will know his name and call him by it before he is even born. That is undeniably powerful and significant.

And, let’s face it, I love being able to refer to my Sam by his name. I love how my mother already introduces him by all four names. I love how Brett calls him “Sammy” in regular conversation. I love how he is already validated as a person by value of that thing we all have – a name.

I know our choice is not everyone’s choice (see Why the Big Secret? for more opinions on that), but for us, it was most definitely the right choice.

It’s no secret how much we love our Sam. Our Samuel Robert Alan Soderstrom.

4 comments:

Juliet said...

Looking forward to holding Samuel Robert Alan in my arms, that is of course after his mother and father have done that.

Wendy said...

We did the same thing, naming early so that we could call our child by his full name early on. Although, we did change Oli's name on the way to the hospital. Pregnancy hormones can make you do strange things. (It was a name we had considered from the beginning and I decided I loved it and it "fit.")

That said, my sister is due in two weeks and has not revealed the name to anyone. They still refer to the baby by name, in private, but won't disclose it to anyone else. I can understand that, after the rubbish I dealt with from my in-laws.

Each to his own. I felt the same way you do, though.

Wendy said...

By the way, that's my preggers sister on the far left. And me in a yellow SLEEVELESS dress with BARE feet. ;-) I know how you feel, but I love ya anyway! ;-) heehee

a joyful nusiance said...

I love the name Sam, and I can't wait to meet the little guy!!