Thursday, June 21, 2007

What Are You Lookin’ At?

There I was on my way to work - sipping my Diet Pepsi from Panera with one hand, driving with the other hand, and pouring my heart into a radio duet of “Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?”

I looked at the car next to me and saw the woman holding her McDonald’s box with one hand, using her teeth to snag her hash brown, and driving with her other hand. As I watched her head bop around, I noticed she was mouthing the same words I was.

I started to smile.

Looking in the rearview mirror, I saw a young girl in the Corvette behind me sipping on her Starbucks latte and belting out the second verse of the same country song.

I turned back to look at my car neighbor. She caught me staring and started to give me a good-morning-what-the-heck-are-you-looking-at glare. I tilted my head backward, and she turned to see our young friend charging boldly into the third verse of “Boots.” She looked back at me, and we shared a quick smile before the light changed.

As we went our separate ways, I thought about how little it takes to create common ground. Whether it’s a boring morning commute, eating in the car, or a favorite country and western song, we’re all the same at heart!

1 comment:

Jennittia said...

Sure is amazing- of all the radio stations and cars around, you all were on the same one!!