Monday, June 18, 2007

One Busy Bunny

Yeah, yeah, I know. It’s been a while since I’ve blogged. Sorry about that. Things have been hectic. Thankfully, it’s been as good as it has been busy!

Last Thursday, I completed the major media and personal presentation training for my girl representatives. Everything went really well! I accepted 38 girls in the group, and 20 registered for the first training. I was expecting about 10 – 15 girls plus their parents, since usually something comes up and we get less people. BUT we had 22 girls – even MORE than who registered. I was ecstatic!

I was also really pleased with the demographics of the group. There was a variety of ages, zip codes, and interests. All of the girls auditioned well, and I think we have a winning group this year. The girl rep group is my sole responsibility, and I find it takes more of my time than ever before, but the girls are in demand SO much now, that it is definitely worth the time invested!

Plus, this year, for the very first time, there is a girl from my very own church in the group! So, it’s nice to have that personal connection.

I met a friend on Friday to see Knocked Up and The Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Both movies were NOT great, so thankfully we enjoyed each other’s company and the night was not a total waste.

Knocked Up was heralded in the press as this great comedy movie, so I was really excited to see it. Boy, was I disappointed. It was raunchy, rude, and just plain filthy. Complete waste of money. Tasteless. Sometimes, I can overlook the language (and there was major language in this movie) if the plot has redeeming qualities.

The plot did noting to redeem this movie. I was actually a little disappointed in myself for NOT walking out. It was THAT bad. If you know me, it takes a LOT for me to walk out of a movie. But I feel like I should have definitely walked out of this one. After the first five minutes.

The Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer wasn’t dirty; there was just really, really bad acting. I spent the first twenty minutes staring at the BAD wig on top of Jessica Alba’s head. It was this obviously fake blonde wig. And if supermodel Jessica Alba can’t look good in it – well, that about says it all. The actors hammed it up big time, and it was overall just a cheesy, special-effect-crammed film. Oh well, at least there was nowhere near the raunchy language and swearing of Knocked Up.

Saturday was so full of parties, I actually had to turn one down! Our Executive Director and her husband had a GIANT party to celebrate 40 years of marriage, but it conflicted with my other commitments, so I had to say no. It was probably a good thing that I did, though, since I hear the “libations” were flowing all night long. And as much as I like the people I work with, I’d rather not see them without their wits about them!


I did go to a lia sophia jewelry party at my friend Patty’s house. I also got to see their newly remodeled house out in Lake Summerset. It is SO gorgeous! And, of course, I DID order some jewelry – the Appliqué bracelet (see below- I know that is SO me!).



Later, Brett and I went to my cousin Paul’s wife’s surprise birthday party at the Briggs Mansion in Rockford. The mansion was gorgeous, and the food was fantastic. We had Italian beef sandwiches, gourmet salad, and pasta. And CAKE – I love CAKE! Plus, Kara (his wife) was really surprised when 60 people jumped out and yelled “Surprise!” We spent most of the night talking with my Uncle Dave, Aunt Venita, Cousin Jason, and his pregnant wife Jennie. It was a lot of fun, and we actually got home at a decent hour!

Brett’s dad came up on Sunday, and we spent the day with him celebrating Father’s Day. We went to Chili’s for brunch-dinner, and then he and Brett drove around Rockford to see where Brett works. Later, Mom and Gary took Brett and me out for homemade ice cream at the Dairy Haus in Rockton. Mom and I had Chocolate Suicides – SO GOOD!!! Brett had Butter Pecan, and Gary had his trademark Banana Split.

Overall, it was a good Father’s Day. And, if I can point out a personal moment, it was the first Father’s Day in eight years that I didn’t cry all day! In fact, I didn’t cry once. Grief is always there, but it does get easier with each passing year. However, I do plan to listen to my trademark Father’s Day song in the next couple of days – Luther Vandross’ Dance with My Father. Gets me every time.

So, now starts the beginning of another busy week! We are having Candice over for dinner tonight. Our church mission’s conference starts this week, and I have a book party to attend on Friday.

Should be fun!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

The Briggs mansion? Is that the one that just opened up on E. State across from the hospital? They call it the Civil WAr house?

Just the title of "Knocked UP" would be enough to keep me away. WE went and saw Pirates of the Caribbean: at World's End. Awesome. Definitely recommend it (you probably seen it all ready), but if not -- great.

Ann-Marie said...

Yup! That's the one. Kara and her family used to live there when she was a little girl and the mansion was divided into apartments. So, it seemed appropriate to hold her 40th birthday there.

I know Knocked Up sounds bad, but the previews looked okay, and it got lots of stars from the press, so I thought it had a chance of being good...I was SO wrong! Oh, Heidi - it was SO AWFUL!!!

I also loved POC:AWE! Although, I wished it had a happier ending! Seeing my husband every 10 years would be difficult, I think!

Although on some days...! :-)

Heidi said...

At least the ending was somewhat happy. Here is the question I have, he just cannot set foot on land and she obviously cannot live under water, so why not see each other on the ship on occasion, since we know that it can come ON the water.
I guess that if one stayed for all the credits, there was a blurb at the end where she and a 10 year old boy are waiting for his arrival on that island 10 years later. I didn't know about it before, so I did not see it.