Thursday, June 28, 2007

Cheers for Candice

I love my cousin Candice.

I really do. We don’t hang out as much as either of us would like to, despite the fact we live close geographically. But every time I’m with her, I find myself happily basking in the glow of a long time, still growing friendship.

We’ve been friends since we were small, and we’ve always gotten along - even when we were little kids, and I was “directing” her in a variety of “skits.” Maybe it’s because she’s two years younger than me that I’ve always thought of her like a little sister.

I like her on so many levels, and more than just because she’s family. She is funny, sweet, bright, and - like me - doesn’t mind admitting her interest in fashion, People magazine, and the occasional movie or hot-leading-man discussion. With other people, those discussions can seem trivial, but with Candice, I feel like I’m just able to be myself.

What is unusual about Candice is that Brett had easily adopted her as HIS little sister, too. Brett doesn’t take naturally to my family. His family is full of wonderful people, but they are much more repressed and quiet than my loud, let’s-talk-it-out family.

I think the reason he likes Candice is that she accepts him for who he is. She’s one of those rare people for whom friendship and acceptance come easily. And those qualities make her a good, loyal friend.

With other members of my family, I double-check with Brett on whether we should have them over, since I know he is not comfortable with everyone. But with Candice, there is always an open invitation. Brett even told me last night, “Candice doesn’t need an invitation. Our house is her house!” (Well, he said the Spanish version, anyway – the term “casa” was bandied about.)

Now, you may not know my husband, but I can assure you statements like those are few and far between.

I say all this, because Candice went to church with us last night. Well, she didn’t so much “go to church” with us as “help us” in our Kids 4 Truth department. What was wonderful (other than having one of my best family-friends with me and pizza at our house afterwards) was that our church family was so warm and welcoming to her. I am really hoping it will entice her to come to church with us again.

Unfortunately she can’t come to church with us on Sunday, since she works the weekend shift. But I would love to see her on Wednesday nights, especially now that we’ve started going on Wednesday nights.

I hope she finds Morning Star refreshing after the hyper-super-legalistic-bordering-on-cultish behavior of a certain church that shall remain unnamed where she previously attended. Suffice it to say, I think the warm and welcoming attitude of my fellow Morning Staronians was a comfort to her!

I think perhaps the other reason I like Candice so much is that I see qualities in her that I need to develop in myself. She has this ability to accept people just as they are and not expect them to change for her. She manages to shrug off the occasional exclusion as “no big deal.” Her easy going way is such a contrast to my read-into-everything, cynical self.

So, she’s good for me.

Three cheers for my cousin Candice! :-)

2 comments:

joydriven said...

hurrah!
hurrah!
hurrah!

Juliet said...

Keep up the good work!! Love Mom