Monday, May 21, 2007

Welcome to a New Edition of…Words I Don’t Like

I was surfing the blogosphere the other day, and I came across a word that I have always disliked.

Now, I hope I’m not being blasphemous, since this word is actually IN THE BIBLE. But…here it is:

Helpmeet

I know this is nothing wrong with the word. It’s just a word. But are some reasons I have never really liked it:

1. It sounds like some kind of “meat.”

2. Take out some letters, and you get “helmet.”

3. I’ve often heard it used INCORRECTLY by men who want to dominate/oppress/control women.

4. It sounds like some kind of accessory. Picture, if you will, a man about ready to leave for work – “Let’s see, I’ve got my wallet, my watch, my briefcase. Ooops, I almost forgot my helpmeet.”

None of these are great reasons, and I probably couldn’t defend a one of them, but that’s the way I feel.

And now you know what I’m thinking whenever someone uses it. “That meat helmet makes a bad accessory!”

Helpmeet that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd have to say that helpmeet would be on my list of words that I don't like also... not really for any of the same reasons...it just sounds like two separate words waiting for a predicate. "I'd like to help meet your need...." or "I'll help meet that obligation..." or even "They'll help meet people at the airport... " I have a hard time seeing it as a noun...and I can't bring myself to describe myself that way in reference to my husband.

Heidi said...

I guess maybe if it were two words instead of one. e.g. help meet. A wife should help meet her husband's needs. I try to help-meet mine, but I am not very good at it.

Ann-Marie said...

I love that we all hate the same word! We can all "dodge the lightning" together!