Monday, January 07, 2008

General Housekeeping

I have a full slate today.

Not only am I brimming over in the career department during this hectic season, creative blog post topics keep popping in my head. Unfortunately for me, blogging doesn’t pay, while my real life job does, so one comes before the other with stunning regularity.

However, before any creative posts, I did want to get everyone caught up on some details in the Soderstrom household.

First, please pray for Brett. He has a NASTY case of the flu.

It started last Thursday and continued through the weekend. He got some meds from the doctor on Friday and was feeling marginally better Sunday night. He left for work this morning, only to return a half hour later, looking like death warmed over. He said he got lightheaded on his way to work and felt like he was going to pass out.

“And you kept driving?” I demanded.

Apparently, it didn’t occur to him to pull over and call me to come pick him up. That’s my Macho Man.

Either way, Macho Man is currently tucked in bed and sleeping. He’s very pale, and that’s a serious “sick” sign with him.

I always know when Brett’s “really” sick. He doesn’t settle in the couch to “rest” (by which I mean “watch TV”), but goes upstairs and straight to bed. And this time…there were no detours.

Please pray for his speedy recovery, and that he doesn’t give it to ME. I’m SO busy this time of year at work; sickness would not be welcome (not that it ever is, of course.)

Secondly, I’m back on the South Beach Diet wagon. I’m exceedingly glad I ran a practice session in early December to see if I could hack the diet. It helped to experiment and have a few good recipes on hand, before I went off the diet for the holidays.

Last night, I made chili for my lunches and prepared a couple snacks to have on hand today. Nothing like being prepared.

I’ll keep you updated on my progress and try to pass on any recipes that equal success.

One recipe I definitely plan to post is the Turkey and White Bean Chili. This is the BEST chili I’ve ever had – spicy and HOT! Brett loves it, and I never realized chili could taste this good. It’s great to make ahead and take for work lunches, as I feel very satisfied, and my taste buds get a work out.

In the practice session, we also enjoyed a recipe that called for chicken stuffed with goat cheese and spinach. I’ll try to get that one posted for any interested parties as well.

This morning I rode the exercise bike for 30 minutes while I listened to the commentary on the Pilot episode of Prison Break. I got Season 1 for Christmas from Mom. Brett and I watched the whole season through – again – 24 episodes in one sitting – over the holidays.

Now, I plan to listen to the commentaries when I ride the bike each morning. I love commentaries! On movies. On TV series. On anything – I love hearing what the director or actors were thinking. It’s like the ultimate insider’s pass.

One of my favorite commentaries is on the Mr. and Mrs. Smith DVD. The director constantly refers to Angelina Jolie as “Angie” which I found hilarious. He also talks about the on-set animosity between Vince Vaughn and Angelina Jolie. Apparently, Vince was ticked off with both Brad and Angie since they were…you know…while Brad was still married.

Now, I’m NOT a Vince Vaughn fan by any means, but I think it’s encouraging he was upset by adultery. IMHO.

Anyhoo, sort of a jumbled train of thought here, but I am the conductor, so that makes sense. I’ll try to get to those creative posts soon.

In the meantime, buy some Girl Scout Cookies and help keep us afloat!

7 comments:

Charity said...

what is IMHO??? I'm not too quick but i thought long and hard and can't figure it out. Is is Secret GIrl Scout Code or what?

Charity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann-Marie said...

In My Humble Opinion

Alice said...

It's Girl Scout cookie time again already?! You're killing me. But while we're at it, I'm sure I'll take a few boxes of Caramel Delites aka Samoas, which is how I always think of them...I never understand the name changes. Was that insulting to Samoas? Personally, I would be totally flattered to have such a delicious cookie named after moi. Can you shed some light on that?

Ann-Marie said...

Actually, there are still Samoas.

In the United States, Girl Scouts have two bakers nation-wide - one baker calls the cookie Samoas and the other baker (ours) calls them Caramel deLites. The bakers are required to carry the same favorite cookies such as Thin Mints, Shortbreads, Peanut Butter Patties, and Peanut Butter Sandwiches, but the other two cookies are considered "baker's choice" and vary in part of the country.

Juliet said...

Count on Mom to support the Girl Scout..since I was one.
Bring on the cookies!!

Heidi said...

My husband all ready told his coworker not to even try to hit him up for girl scout cookies. I told him that just wait until the neighbor twins come by. I will buy one from each of them. Hopefully they will come by ;-)