Sunday, September 24, 2006

Talk about Your Mood Shifts

I was going to write about appreciation today. I walked around my house in the quiet of the morning and just appreciated what God has given me. I looked at all my beautiful fall decorations. Each thing was either given to me by someone special or hand-picked with care by me to fit in perfectly with my personality and my house. I lit a fall candle my mom gave me and just savored the moment.

Then I came upstairs and talked to my still half-asleep husband about something financial which I thought was going to be no big deal. But I was wrong. It is a big deal, and he says it is impossible to do it. Well, since I spent all morning figuring it out, I was disappointed on two levels. First of all, I apparently wasted a good deal of the morning figuring it all out. Secondly, it was something I really wanted to do, and now it appears I won’t be able to.

So, I went from being appreciative to being disappointed, and I’m sure, a little ungrateful with what God has given. Hence, my title of this post.

It is amazing how money has a hold on me. It really does affect everything. It shouldn’t, but it does. My Pastor once said that it is interesting how most people automatically understand the Bible truth that “the love of money is the root of all evil.” I think it is because we’ve all experienced it. That familiar gnawing in the pit of my stomach and the rumble of dissatisfaction of not being able to have or get what I want.

But it leads me to ask, if God wanted me to have it, wouldn’t He provide it?

So, that’s my private little quandary this morning.

Maybe God wants me to get a job at Kohl’s, so I can afford it.

Or maybe, just maybe, it’s time I learned to sacrifice a little bit more.

No comments: