Thursday, September 14, 2006

Snakes on a Plane

When I am old and gray, and small children ask me if I ever saw the phenom that was Snakes on a Plane, I will be able to say, “Oh, my, yes!”

I never planned to see Snakes on a Plane, because:
a.) I’m not a big Samuel L. Jackson fan.
b.) I’m not a big snake fan.
c.) I’m not a big flying fan.

So, I figured this was not the movie for me. The movie I really wanted (and still want) to see is Little Miss Sunshine. But I had limited gas in my tank and Snakes on a Plane was showing at Showplace 14 (close to my house) while Little Miss Sunshine was only showing at Showplace 16 (all the way on the other side of town). And perhaps the MAIN reason I went to see Snakes on a Plane is that my friend Angie wanted to see it.

Angie and I have a deal. We go to movies that we both want to see and then trade off going to ones that only one of us want to see. So, I grudgingly agreed to go with her. For someone who was pretty gung-ho about seeing the movie, she watched most of it from behind her hand while shrieking loudly. I, on the other hand, thought it was pretty tame (a marathon of the Kill Bill videos must have desensitized me at some point). The plot was corny, but not badly acted, and those snakes bit people in THE most interesting places!

Among my favorites:

The young couple joining the Mile High Club was bitten while in the throws of passion, but no one knows, since all they hear is moaning, and they draw the Mile High conclusion.

A woman feels ill, and when she reaches for the airsick bag, a coiled snake shoots out, grabs her tongue and doesn’t let go.

A man is using the bathroom, and…it’s pretty obvious.

A man is crushed by a giant python, and then the python SWALLOWS HIM WHOLE! Really good special effects on that shot!

Also in the cast are ER alum Julianna Margulies (who wears straight hair – I prefer her curly hair look!) and Saturday Night Live-r Kenan Thompson. The rest of the cast are relative unknowns with Paris Hilton and Diddy look-a-likes.

All in all, not a bad movie.

Now, of course, Angie owes me. Hope she likes Little Miss Sunshine.

No comments: