Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Samson – The First Dumb Jock?

Well, today’s devotional in Judges 16 was even more informative on the character of Samson. I have to say, as I was reading the text, it was kind of nice to see Samson get what was coming to him.

The more I read, the more I found myself thinking of Samson as an Old Testament version of “a player” when it came to women. He seemed infatuated with them and obviously enjoyed different women and an immoral lifestyle. But he was also blinded by lust or love – I’m guessing – because that is the only way he could not see through Delilah’s web of deceit. I mean, how many times did the woman try to deceive him? To give away the secret his strength? And he just kept falling for it – maybe the beginning of the “dumb jock” stereotype? I mean, obviously, God allowed him to be blinded to her betrayal, but if there was anything left to his human senses, he completely missed the ball.

I also found it interesting that so many verses were given to Samson’s rise to power and his activities while only a few described his downfall and the rest of his miserable life as blind prisoner in a Philistine jail. Reminds me of what my mom and dad always said about the importance of “ending well.”

The hardest part of “ending well” is that we don’t know when our ending date is, so we have to live everyday like it could be our last. I certainly haven’t mastered that lesson. I’d better drive carefully (not that it would help!).

No comments: