Thursday, February 08, 2007

Doing Something Nice

I have few talents.

I know that comes as NO surprise to those of you who know me well, but it’s true.

The majority of my talent is in expression. I love to write, and it is one of the ways I can do something nice for someone. In fact, I love using my “gift” to encourage others. I can’t make stationery, candles, or scrapbooks, but I sure can pick out a nice card! And write in it! Ha!

Actually, if you know me at all, you know I am a stationary-buying fanatic! So, why am I telling you all this?

For years, I have sent personally hand-written cards, notes, and letter to family and friends. It is one of my favorite things to do. In the wake of e-technology, I found myself relying more on my internet connection than on paper and pens. A recent Hallmark card purchase spurred me into writing an old-fashioned note, inside an old-fashioned card.

It all happened when I chose a Valentine’s card for Brett. I found it at the grocery store (of all places!) and it just could not have BEEN more perfect! The front of the card was COVERED in silver rabbit silhouettes with a tiny, red foil heart half hidden in the middle. The inside sentiment reads, “You’re one in a million…and I like that! Happy Valentine’s Day!” Well, with our shared love of bunnies, I just had to get it!

After a while, I started thinking how perfect that card would be for Susan (Peyton’s foster mom), Michelle (Hannah’s foster mom), and Lois and Joan (Chicago HRS staff).

So, I decided to go back and purchase three more of the same card. I got a little panicked when I stopped by a Hallmark store and couldn’t find the card. I went back to the grocery store, and I couldn’t find it anywhere on the rack. As I felt my panic building (as you can tell, I REALLY wanted to do this), I prayed, “Lord, if it is your will for me to do this, please show me the card.” Proving yet again that He is in the details of our lives, I opened my eyes and saw a small stack of that very card in the WRONG slot. There were exactly THREE left. It amazes me how God provides even down to the smallest thing.

A little while afterwards, I picked up our developed film from CVS, and there was an adorable photo of Hannah and Peyton sitting head-to-head with their bodies comfortably “flopped” to either side. I took it over to the photo machine, and (thanks to modern technology) created four duplicates with an adorable “Love is Forever” border. I wrote notes and slipped a photo inside each of the three cards; I dropped them off in the mail today! Of course, I kept the fourth photo for our fridge!

So, three surprise Happy Valentine’s Day cards are on their way! I was surprised how good it made me feel to do something nice for someone. Something that took some doing - running around and making the effort to encourage and affirm someone!

As always, in the end, doing something nice for someone else ends up making ME feel pretty good, too!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

That is such a nice thing to do. I want to be just like you when I grow up. ;-) No, seriously. That is so cool. Valentine's day is coming isn't it. I guess I better think of something to get my husband.