Saturday, December 16, 2006

Gone Awry But All Right Anyway

I had such big plans for last night. I was going to get all our laundry done, all our dishes done (via the dishwasher – I’m not crazy), wrap gifts, write our Christmas letter, and maybe even CLEAN (yuck) a little.

What DID I get done? One load of laundry, one load of dishes, and …that’s it.

I took a break to watch a Quantum Leap episode which must have been the season opener, since it was like two hours long. Then, I had to get my Tom Welling fix, so I watched an episode of Smallville. By then it was after 10:00 p.m., and since I knew I had to work today, I decided to go to bed.

Then, when I got upstairs and climbed into the nice toasty bed where my husband had already zonked out for the rest of the night, I was restless. So I started reading this new Judaic mystery book I checked out from the library. It’s a mystery, but also a comparison between Jewish and Christian beliefs – written from a Jewish perspective. It’s fascinating, interesting, and I can’t wait to see whodunit. Since my last conscious thought was reading the book, I’m not really sure when I did fall asleep.

I think, mentally, I was a little lazy last night, since I knew today was going to be oh-so-busy. First off, I’m working today. We’ve got a special PR event, and I’m trying to get caught up on all my work before the holidays hit. Then, at 7:00 p.m., we have my cousin’s Paul and Kara’s Holiday Luminary Party. We can only stay at their party for an hour, since we have Game Night Group tonight, too. We’ll get there a little late, but that’s okay, since usually we go to 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. the next day anyway.

December has really snuck up on me this year. Normally, I feel like I have plenty of time to prepare for it. I always get our trees up and all the decorations up. But, this year, time has just flown by. I don’t know why, but I’ve just been especially busy this year – or especially lazy. Either way, our house is bereft of any Christmas decorations.

I have, however, finished most of my shopping. Mom – check. Charity – check. Colleen – check. Rehfeldt Family Christmas Gifts – check. Co-worker Gifts – check. I do need to get a gift for Gary, Brett’s family, Candice, and Grandma. But then, I’m done. Yeah!

Candice asked for a gift card this year – easy as pie. Mom says that’s what Grandma wants, too. We’re getting Gary a flannel shirt from Gander Mountain (don’t worry, he doesn’t read my blog – doesn’t know what a “blog” is) and getting popcorn tins for Brett’s family. And, boring but dependable, getting each of the kids $5 this year. It’s all we can afford – ends up being $55, after all. I’m a little worried about what to get my oldest nephew Bryan. He’s 21 and engaged, so I don’t think $5 is going to cut it anymore. I’m thinking maybe a gift card to a restaurant, so he and his fiancée can go out to eat.

Oh, and I almost forgot Al – Brett’s dad – he’s getting a certificate to Outback, one of his favorite restaurants. Brett’s brothers and sisters often go in and get him a really NICE expensive gift, but they never invite us to go in with them. We’ve asked to be included, but they conveniently “forget” to ask us every year. I’m not really sure why they do this, but after this year, I think it is on purpose. This has not been a shining year for the benevolence of the rest of the Soderstrom family. Or at least some of them. Some of them should be ashamed of themselves, since they proclaim to be Christians but act every other way than Christ-like. And that’s all I’m going to say about that.

So, today is going to be a busy day. I’m excited and looking forward to spending it with people I like (my co-workers), family, and friends.


Cheers!

No comments: