Thursday, November 09, 2006

It’s A Fine Life!

I’m so excited! Mom and I just bought tickets for New American Theater’s opening night of Oliver! on December 1, 2006!

I’ve loved the Oliver! musical ever since I watched it on TV when I was nine years old. I’ve never seen it live on stage, though, and it has always been a dream of mine.

I’ve kept an eye on Fireside Theater and Rock Valley College’s Starlight Theater, but Oliver! has never been on the playbill. Finally, NAT is going to perform it! Good for them.

I’m lucky Mom is such a drama enthusiast, too. When I was a kid, Mom and Dad and I would bundle up and head to Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, to see plays at the Fireside Theater. I’ve seen Steel Magnolias, Guys and Dolls, Sound of Music, Annie, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Fiddler on the Roof, and a lot more I probably can’t remember at Fireside. I’ve also seen Oklahoma at Starlight Theater, Fireside, AND the Clock Tower Theater (back when it was still in existence).

I was ten when Mom and Dad took me to my first play. It was Peter Pan at Starlight Theater. We were all entranced. After that, we tried to go to at least one play a year.

A particularly memorable play for me is when we went to the Spring Green Theater in Wisconsin. It’s this awesome outdoor all stone arena – sort of like the ones gladiators used to battle in. Anyway, we watched Shakespeare’s Othello. The acting was phenomenal! The actors would come right off the stage, into the seats as part of their performances. I personally remember Iago’s dramatically funny then tragic recital as he waded into the audience to explain his misdeeds. Dad, I remember, was particularly impressed.

For my sixteenth birthday, my parents threw me a wonderful party. They let me invite 16 friends to the Clock Tower Theater’s production of Oklahoma! We had to sit in the front row, because my best friend Tania was deaf and had to be close enough to read the characters’ lips. I had such a good time. Afterwards, we celebrated at Cheddar’s. Mom still looks at it as one of her life’s greatest undertakings. It was undoubtedly unforgettable. Thanks, Mom!

At first, Brett wasn’t that interested in going to plays - mainly, because he’d never been to one. Well, after he went with me, Mom, and Dad to Oklahoma at the Fireside, he was hooked! Now, he enjoys them as much as we do.

Mom and I picked the December date because our “men” (imagine big arms thumping hairy chests) will be out hunting that weekend. So, it’ll be just us girls – like old times. Minus Dad (not that we wouldn’t love it if he magically showed up!)

So, anyway, I’m VERY excited!!! If you are not an Oliver! fan or don’t know any of the songs, here’s a preview:

Overture

Food, Glorious Food
The starting song in the workhouse when all the boys come down the stairs for their gruel, singing of all the wonderful foods they would like to eat "cold jelly and custard".

Boy For Sale
Mr. Bumble walking Oliver around the snowy streets, until he finally sells him at the reduced price of 3 guineas.


Where Is Love
Oliver is singing this looking out of the cellar window at the undertakers just before he makes his escape.

Consider Yourself
Sung by the Artful Dodger, one of my favorite songs, this song takes them through the streets of London with some absolutely wonderful choreography, and different store holders doing there own little dance sketches.


You've Got To Pick A Pocket Or Two
A fun song! Fagin, with the help of his boys, shows Oliver the art of pick-pocketing.

It's A Fine Life
This is sung by Nancy in the public house with the regulars and barmaids dancing around - a very lively song.

I'd Do Anything
This is done in Fagin's den, where the Artful Dodger and boys make a makeshift carriage, and along with Nancy, they sing the song.

Be Back Soon
The boys are off to do a days work for Fagin. With his pennywhistle, he is like the Piped Piper as he marches them out and sees them off.

Who Will Buy
This is the second full scale elaborate song and dance scene. It is started off by a rose seller walking down the cobbled street. You then see other street sellers, street entertainers, school children etc. - once again fantastic music and dancing.

As Long As He Needs Me
Bill Sikes has just struck Nancy and walked off. She is crying and starts singing this ballad.

Reviewing the Situation
Fagin is thinking of running away as Bill is getting a little out of control, and Fagin deep down is very much the coward.


Oom Pah Pah
The Oom Pah Pah song has been sang for many years in many variations - but in this film it was sung by Nancy. She used it to get the whole pub up and dancing so she could sneak Oliver out of the pub right under Bill Sikes nose.

Finale

No comments: