Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Blog Sharing

Oooh boy! This one’s a toughie. Do I want to share my blog with people I know?

I just don’t know. I mean, there are my friends who will love me no matter how much they may disagree with me and my twisted little mind. And then there is my family who has to love me no matter what. But other people? What if someone links to me and changes their opinion about me? Or forms a negative opinion about me based on a flippant, little blog? What then?

I ask, because I read a blog the other day, and it colored my opinion of the person who wrote it. I didn’t really know this person very well, but the realization that he was a subtle sexist (oh (wo)man - one of my biggest pet peeves) certainly influenced the way I thought about him. I wanted to fire off a comment to his comment section, but then I thought, I don’t really know this guy. What is he going to think when he gets a disgruntled e-mail from some person he barely knows? And then I thought, It is a blog. These are his thoughts and the way he chooses to express them. Why should I care? He won’t be able to limit my ability as a woman. For crying out loud, I’m not married to him. Let his wife deal (and/or be happy) with him.

But still. That lingering disrespect for him is now there. I don’t know if I would want people to feel that way about me.

I am trying not to focus on how much I disagree with his person, and trying to just love him as a Christian brother. And, in hoping that he feels the way I do about blogs and personal expression, let me just say to him –

Let’s just see you try to stop the many, many qualified women who have been teaching in churches all these hundreds of years. Women who taught when there were no men available, when the men were unqualified, and when the men were unwilling. I would dare ask you to stack the balance of their years of fruitful service against yours. God works through women teaching in the church. Just ask anyone who was led to the Lord by one of these faithful, godly women.

As for sharing my blog, I still don’t know. Perhaps just to people who already know how fundamentally flawed I really am.

No comments: